Chapter 40

So, if you don't follow me then you won't know that I have posted about a forgotten chapter. Basically, as I was doing some admin and compiling the documents the books are spread across into one, I realised two chapters were labelled as chapter 27, and one of them hadn't been posted. As I think it is kinda important, I decided to post it, so I would recommend going and reading Chapter 27 if you haven't done so yet. Sorry for the disruption!

Anyways, here is chapter 40!

Only a few remaining!

*****

"Congrats!" I say as I slide into the backseat of the car. Max is sitting in the front passenger seat, but I am in the back which has blacked-out windows so no one will see me leave with him.

"Thanks, you had a good race too!" He says turning around to look at me and I nod smiling.

"Yeah, it was good at points, but the rest of the season is going to be rough, I think. I don't think we can afford many more upgrades, so I think it's probably the bottom of the table for us." I say shrugging, "but I'm still focussed, I think HAAS are struggling some weeks too so maybe we can move into ninth, I don't know." I say and Max nods smiling. "Eyes forward Verstappen!" I say as slide down in my seat slightly as we drive past the fans. Max sniggers and does as I say, his PT Brad driving us to the airport. "What you up to Brad, now that you're finally ditching this one?" I ask him and he laughs at Max's offended face.

"I'm headed back to the UK now, and doing a podcast interview this evening and then I'm just chilling with my family. Quality time and all that," he says, and I nod.

"Have you organised when you'll see your family yet?" Max turns in his seat as he asks me this and I glare at him motioning for him to turn back around because the fans are still able to see him turn around to talk to me.

When he finally does sit forward, I respond; "yeah, hoping they will join me in Lanzarote in my final week so that I can see them between training."

"That's good, how did the meetings with potential coaches go?" He says, staying on point this time and facing forward, but making eye contact with me in the rear-view mirror. I grin at him because he has put himself at an awkward angle so that he could see me.

Tilting my head to the side, "they all seemed okay you know? To have been invited out they're all clearly capable people, I just don't know who can really replace JC. She's been my family while I travel for so many years, I don't know how I will deal without her...to try and have someone that replaces that...it'll be difficult." I say and the two men in front of me nod. "I need someone that can be my friend but yeah...it's a weird balance. You get it!" I say and they nod, "the one I liked the most was the guy, which surprised me, to be honest." I said and they nodded, "but that might just be because he was less cautious or nervous than the women were so I'm keen to see how it is on the second meeting, but his vibe was lighter." I say and Brad nods thoughtfully.

"What's his name?" Brad asks.

"Nick...er...Nick Bradshaw I think?" I say uncertainly and Brad makes a sound of recognition.

"Oh yeah, I know him, he's sound. Isn't he the coach for the England women's hockey team?" He asks.

"Yeah, he's still doing that at the moment, so I know he's good at working with women to a high level. Plus, he has a massage therapist license as well as some knowledge on nutrition and strength endurance training on top of linking that to women specifically." I say and see their silhouettes nod. "But we will see, the two other applicants were good and it's nice to have women in my close circle in such a male-dominated sport. It helps, you know?"