Chapter 13

Because the next race was Australia, and there wasn't much for me to do at the Williams factory that I couldn't do over a call, we had opted to fly straight to Melbourne. Despite finishing last in the race, there was still a lot of interest in radio and tv interviews Olivia told me. So that's why on the Wednesday following the Grand Prix, I was sat next to Daniel Ricciardo on some Australian breakfast TV show.

"Nice to see you, Elodie," he greeted me, giving that iconic smile as he stood up to give me a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek which I reciprocated. "I always have to do these by myself in Aus. So, it's nice to have someone join me!" He explained and I nodded, having been informed that this was the first of several appearances we were set to make on shows.

"You'll have to keep me right; I suck at these sorts of things," I said fiddling with the navy knee-length satin dress that I had been forced into wearing by Olivia. I also had my hair curled and makeup is done and was feeling distinctly self-conscious, knowing we were about to be live on TV.

Sensing this Daniel shrugged and gave me a lazy smile, "you look fantastic, and you're good with the press! I've seen your interviews. Just remember, no fucking swearing." He joked and I let out an exaggerated gasp.

"Oh, shit really? No fucking way! Ah, crap mate, we're fucking doomed." I said back and was proud when I got one of the famous Ricciardo laughs in return, he nodded at my joke and as we waited for the interview to begin, we chatted about the last race and McLarens clear struggles with the car not having the pace or competitiveness of last year. "The porpoising isn't bad for you guys is it?" I asked sneakily and he nodded. "You know why?" he let out a laugh.

"I like you Elodie, but not that much." He responded and I shrugged.

"Worth a try, aye?" and he nodded at that. Soon after we were given the countdown and then the introductions started. Given that this wasn't F1 media, I knew there were about to be a lot of gender questions because it's what the general media and public were most interested in. After a few questions to Daniel about racing in Australia as it was his home race, the focus was quickly turned on me.

"So Elodie, thank you again for joining us, what's it like being the first female driver in the regular lineup in modern Formula One history? Is there anything different that you have to do to prepare for races?"

I shrug and shake my head, "not much difference no. I guess I have to take a pregnancy test each weekend. I don't imagine the guys do that." I joke smiling back at her.

"Oh really, why's that?" she asks, Daniel looks intrigued by this as well.

"Well, not much is known about the effects of g-forces on pregnancy or the mother. So, it's precautionary, but I'm on birth control anyways for my racing performance and have no social life so it's more for the protection of Williams legally." I explain and I see Daniel nod in the corner. "Sorry, you don't want to know that sort of thing," I say blushing and fiddling with the hem of my skirt.

"No, that's really interesting, I never even thought that would be a consideration." She responds and Daniel agrees. "You mentioned birth control, but said that was for performance, what do you mean? If you don't mind."

I shrug, I don't mind explaining this at all. "Well as you know for a woman, hormones fluctuate through the cycle. That's not very conducive to racing, having a foggy head or something just because it's the week before I'm due on." I explain, "plus hormonal side effects suck in general. I'm on the injection because it helps regulate and level out my hormones all the way through the month, so there are no ups or downs, and I can be more consistent. I don't get my period, while sometimes I might get ghost cramps, there's never anything too bad going on to detract from the race."