Chapter 20

Thank you for 1k reads! It's a really cool milestone.

Please keep commenting and voting, it really helps!

*****

My positivity only breaks on media day during the press conference they hold with teammates.

"Elodie, how do you feel about Alex receiving the upgrades this weekend?"

I swallow, and Alex shoots me a nervous glance, knowing full well the arguments I had been having in the factory over their decision to put Alex first.

"It's er, obviously not the best feeling, but I understand that when our performance is quite close, they choose to go off championship points." I start, "and it's nice that we're getting upgrades at all. So, I look forward to reviewing the data that Alex collects this weekend, so I'll know what to expect when they come in later for me. Right now, I'm just hoping that they have the desired effect and help us have one of the cars in the competition. That would be an improvement from neither." I say calmly and get nods from around the room.

Despite not being asked anything, Alex picks up his mic after I finish speaking. "It was a very tight call between Elodie and I, as we have several similar results." I keep the smile on my face, but internally I'm confused. I don't know if he's sticking up for me or himself as we are both aware of the media reaction to him getting the upgrade before me, despite me out–placing him in finishes.

"There has been some insinuation that Alex got the upgrades first because of his gender, what do you have to say about that Elodie?" the next reporter asks. I look over at Alex in bewilderment, who is left looking hurt.

"As I said before, the decision was based entirely on points tally. It's that simple." I say accusingly at the journalist of note. "Williams has been nothing but a positive and good environment to me, I don't appreciate the false insinuations." I say sharply. However, I lean over to Alex, keeping my mic away, and using my other hand to cover my mouth. "Don't worry, if the roles were reversed, I would have had the exact same question." I try to say comfortingly, he just nods, but I can tell he looks uncomfortable.

"How do you both feel going into this weekend, it's a home grand prix of sorts for you as well Alex?" the next journalist asks, and I appreciate some of the pressure being taken off me. That question is followed by more on the upgrades themselves and our hopes for them. I think we're going to end on a high note, when the idiot from the first week opens his trap.

"Elodie, Williams has been accused of sexualising you on social media by posting videos of you working out in your sports bra alone. What do you have to say about this?" I roll my eyes and let out a huff. Shooting a look at Olivia who is stood in the corner, about the fact that he was allowed to ask a question.

But I answer anyways. "I think that's ridiculous; I mean if you find me working out in a sports bra to be a sexual thing, then that's a you issue." I say dryly, eliciting laughter from around the room, the reporter in question goes red as he starts to splutter a response, but I interrupt him. "It's one of those rare benefits I have on a race weekend, that I can walk around the paddock in a sports bra, especially when it's roasting. The reason the men must is because of TV licensing not allowing them to be topless and have their nipples show. As I am covered, I get to ditch the extra layer until I need it. Also, if any team is sexualising their drivers, its Ferrari, have you seen those thirst traps." I joke and another wave of laughter runs around the room. We get a nod from the moderator and put our mics down as we exit the stage, I'm met with the two Alpha Tauri boys who are about to go on.

"They're particularly stupid today," I warn Pierre and Yuki as Alex storms off.

"Thanks for the heads up!" Yuki says and I smile at him.