Chapter 15

Double update coming your way!

*****

"Thank you so much everyone, bloody hell, did we really just do that?! Is that P10 for Alex as well?" I check with Rachel, but Jost's voice comes over the radio first.

"Whooooo! Yes, Elodie! I knew you could do it! Fantastic!" I grin to myself at his excitement.

"Thank you Jost, thanks everyone, Rachel especially for backing me when I had this crazy idea. It means so much, holy shit! We did it!" My hands escape the cockpit a couple of times as I punch the air in excitement. Australia was my new favourite country!

The next few hours were chaotic.

I was quickly pulled to the garage to celebrate the with rest of the team that couldn't make it to parc ferme. I grabbed my hat as soon as possible because despite not winning the race, there were cameras all around me and Alex and my hair was a mess after being in the cockpit for the last two hours. Our daring strategy had paid off and bought in a double points finish. One of my goals for the season, achieved in week three! Words didn't describe how good it had felt, taking a chance and having it pay off, the points felt as good as any of my race wins in Formula 2.

I took the time to celebrate with the team, the pitstop crew, the strategists and Jost. All of us just cheering. Some people had found fizzy drinks and we had made a rather large spectacle out of spraying all over one another after a team photo. JC was crying which I teased her endlessly for and made sure to get a photo with Rachel because she had put her faith in me to carry out a risky strategy, and I made sure that that photo was the first one I posted on Instagram, saying just that to the entire world.

I'm all smiles still after a shower to wash away the sticky drinks that got stuck in my hair and on my race suit. Olivia finally drags me out to my interviews after I have dried my hair quickly. Dressed in a Williams tank and joggers because the air has cooled down considerably, I skip down the paddock, taking congratulations from different passers-by and signing different items of clothing and taking photos with some fans as I make my way towards media. I pause for a moment watching the end of what looks like a rather amusing interview between Lando and Alex where they had to explain several times that we had gotten points because he hadn't taken it as a serious statement the first-time round.

However, it wasn't long until I was dragged away, waving at the guys to do my own interviews. As he happened to be free, I headed straight to Buxton. "First not last," I said to him, opening my arms in greeting as I presented myself happily and he laughed.

"I'm not good enough to go last this time, now that you have points? You're going to go all serious on me?" He asked, as we got all the camera and mic settings sorted.

"I thought you'd want to share in my small win!" I say and he nods in agreement. "Plus, I feel like I'm on a high I won't be coming down from any time soon!" I exclaim "So, first and last interviews are going to be the same."

"Right then, how are you feeling, your first points in Formula One?" Will asks with a bright smile on his face, excitement evident in his voice.

"It's fantastic, fu-" I stop myself real quick, "it's amazing, I feel like I'm on top of the world. You know, I say it's coming soon, but you never know. And the safety cars were so tempting to pit in, but we stuck to our guns and decided to stick with the strategy. It paid off, so yeah, the fact that it was a whole team effort, and it's me and Alex. I couldn't ask for much more!" I exclaim.

"I can see that, and yeah the dou- one sec, I think there's someone that wants to speak to you." Will says pointing behind me and I see both George and Lewis standing there. I grin and throw myself into a hug with them, buzzing. While I'm there, grinning and lapping up the praise more of the drivers come over. Gasly, Ricciardo, Lando and Charles, all giving me a pat on the back and a well done. I just beam and thank them, before Lewis pushes me back towards Will.