a beginning

chapter one, a beginning

•───────•°•❀•°•───────•

POV: 1st person

My whole life has been ordinary for as long as I could remember. I had a mother and father, a roof over my head, food on the table and I did what most kids did with their life.

I went to school and lived my life. I was that supposed 'popular' kid of the school, to the point where people admired me from afar. People knew who I was and were friendly towards me.

My life was fine, ordinary, simple...

Dull...

It was until three years ago when my father died in a car crash, protecting me in his arms as he was driving us to the store because I wanted to get ice cream.

Nothing was the same after that.

My mother fell into a spiral of depression and started drinking and gambling. It took two years but she managed to land herself into so much debt that people started showing up at our two-story house that my mother bought with my father and they ended up taking it from her.

******

"It's nothing personal kid." One of the men told me as I moved mine and my mother's belongings out of the place I once called home.

"It's just business. Your mother's in a lot of debt right now and we need some... insurance from her."

******

After that I managed to find a one bedroom apartment and moved in just before winter should hit and school started. It was tough.

I managed to find a job at a restaurant/bar place. I do have a good singing voice and play instruments in my free time, so I worked with the band that played there. It paid well and I got extra from tips, I pay for the rent and try to work off some of my mother's debt but it was never enough.

At school, I was still the 'popular' kid. Still unapproachable to others and admired from afar. But I managed to make extra cash by making small pieces of music and sell it to them.

Even with how much I made, it was never enough to pay her debt fast enough. The debt she was in began to grow and grow and grow. She spent everything she had on liquor and gambling, and it didn't help that the men she would date would take everything we both had too.

Some days, I wouldn't eat because there wasn't enough money left or I was trying to save the money. I was slightly beginning to lose weight.

But not once did I throw a fit or complain, I'm just happy that I'm still here today. And she's my mother I can't just blame her for everything or even hate her for that matter. Even when she came home drunk out of her mind and began blaming me for everything, and for her becoming so messed up.