NINE

Emily knew she looked like complete shit, but she didn't care in the slightest. She was wearing a pair of Jared's grey track pants that she'd stolen from him after letting her borrow them one night and a over-sized New York Giants jersey she knew belonged to Benny. Her hair was piled atop her head in a messy bun and her face was blotchy and her nose was bright red. Emily had a disgusting cold and she felt like shit, hence why she didn't care if she looked like it. She couldn't breathe out of her nose even though it kept running like a leaking faucet, her throat was sore as if she'd swallowed razor blades and her joints and limbs ached making her feel like an eighty year old woman.

She'd done absolutely nothing in the past 2 weeks, other than feel like shit. Jared had gone to New Orleans to start shooting for Dallas Buyers Club. He'd left a few days after their little fumble in the pool and he'd told her that they were shooting this film in quick succession so he'd only been gone for a month at the maximum. But that didn't stop Emily from moping about after he'd gone. In the few days leading up to Jared's departure, the same few days after their kiss Emily expected them to be awkward and unusual. But they weren't. Nothing changed really. Jared didn't stop sneaking his arms around her waist when they were working, Emily didn't stop grabbing Jared's hand in hers whenever he was standing close by, they didn't stop snuggling against each other as they walked to their secret spot on the hills. They acted in the same needy and loving way towards each other as they had before they kissed, the only change being that now they found themselves sneaking off to make out much more, acting as if they were teenagers again.

As Jared had been elsewhere in the country for the past 14 days, the only means they had of speaking was over the phone or just to text each other. Emily was always the one to text Jared, maybe a picture of something funny she'd seen that day she wanted him to find funny too, or a silly question or theory she'd heard just to spark a conversation with him, but Jared, he would always call Emily. He'd been calling her without fail every evening around 11 o' clock. They'd speak about their days and inform each other what was going on around them until Jared picked up the sleep in Emily's voice and let her get to bed. Emily couldn't help but feel like they were kind of an old married couple, considering that they could have a conversation for at least a couple of hours about barely anything at all, and Emily quite liked that about their relationship.

From the hunched up position Emily found herself in as she lay on her sofa feeling sorry for herself she noticed her phone vibrating against the floorboards beside her. She peered down at the tiny screen and saw Jared's name flashing upon it. She then glanced at the clock and noticed that he was calling a few hours earlier than he usually did in the evenings. But never the less she reached her aching arm towards the phone and answered his call without a second thought.

"Hey." Emily answered and her voice was muffled and nasally due to her horrific cold.

"Still sick then?" Jared's voice was clear and upbeat and it made her smile just hearing the sound of him.

"You can tell that bad?" She heard him laugh slightly.

"Yeah, but you sound better than you did last week."

"I don't feel any better." Jared could of sworn he heard her lip pout through the receiver.

"Well I might have something for you that will make you feel better." Emily knitted her eyebrows as she heard his statement and clocked on to his sultry voice.

"If you're trying to initiate phone sex babe, I'm really not up for that." She heard him laugh down the phone and she felt her stomach quiver slightly as the sound of his laugh was becoming her favorite noise.

"No phone sex tonight honey." Jared was still chuckling.

"So what do you have for me then?"

"I sent you something." Jared paused, he could hear Emily sniffling quietly and he couldn't hold back the mischievous grin that spread across his face. He had to put a hand over his mouth to control his glee.