FOUR

Emily sat there, leaning against the side of her unmade bed wearing nothing but a pair of old boxer shorts that belonged to a man she didn't remember surrounded by a sea of clothes strewn across the carpet of her tiny bedroom. She'd been in that position for at least half an hour and as she felt the anxiety drag her further and further into the abyss the more she considered calling him and telling him not to bother with the evening planned.

She couldn't figure it out. Was this a date? Was this just an attempt on his behalf to get her into bed? Would he give a shit if people saw them together? Was he going to pay for it? What if he saw her and thought to himself that it was a bad idea asking her out? She felt sick as the thoughts bashed against the sides of her mind and she didn't know what the fuck she was going to do. It was half past seven, she had to be outside the restaurant in thirty minutes and she was wearing nothing at all, her hair and make-up was complete however, but there was not a hint of an outfit on her body. 

In that moment her phone started to ring. Her head snapped towards the sound and she began throwing ripped leggings and baggy shirts across the room looking for the source of the ringing. She found it quickly under a red plaid button up and took a deep breathe before grabbing the phone, mentally preparing and composing herself for the incoming call she was sure was Jared. When she looked at the screen, she felt the disappoint wash over her as she discovered Benny was calling. She pressed the red button without hesitation or guilt, ignoring his call. However the text she was faced with on her lock screen when she got rid of Benny made her heart race and her stomach drop. Jared had text her, simply saying; 'I can't wait to see you later.'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Jared gazed out the window he contemplated just ordering a few more whiskeys, getting really, really drunk and just going to a strip club. In all honesty, Jared was pissed off. He didn't know why she was being like that. He'd gone out of his way to ask her out to dinner, he'd even text her shortly before they were supposed to meet saying that he couldn't wait to see her, which wasn't a lie. And now, almost an hour after 8 o' clock, he was sat alone at a table for two sipping his third whiskey getting agitated at the fact he was still sat there waiting for her.

He had never waited that long before. Usually, if he was waiting for any more than fifteen minutes that was it, he was up and out the building without even a text to whom he was waiting for saying he was leaving. But with Emily, he was still waiting to see her face. He had even text her a few times asking where she was and how long she thought she'd be. But she never replied. And that infuriated Jared even more so. Manners cost nothing and he didn't know why she was standing him up and why she wasn't replying but what made his blood boil the most was the fact he was still waiting for her to show up.

He'd had enough of fucking waiting. He paid for his drinks, apologized for taking up a table for so long and left the establishment with a bit of a stumble as he had gotten through roughly a bottle of whiskey then. He licked his lips and took a deep breathe of fresh air as he stepped out onto the street, preparing himself for the walk back to his home that awaited him when he felt a subtle tickle against his left thigh. He placed his hand against the spot that was vibrating and his intoxicated brain put the pieces together and told him that someone was calling him. When he answered the phone he didn't check to see who it was calling, so he was a little taken aback to finally hear the voice he'd been aching to hear all night.

"I'm sorry." It was a simple statement, and she said it like she meant it, because she truly did.

"Please, Emily. Save your breath. I don't need to hear it." Jared was short with her. She believed it was completely just.