Part 6- Don't Bother Me

Weeks had gone by since Jacqueline's dream about Dhani. She felt incredibly ashamed of herself- so ashamed that she avoided Dhani like the plague. She couldn't risk being around him, for if she allowed herself to be vulnerable she may have more unholy thoughts or dreams.

Having to ignore him absolutely killed her. He really was her only friend, and he hadn't actually done anything wrong, but she had to put her faith first. That's what she told herself time and time again.

This was just the way things had to be.

~~~~~~~~~~

Last period came and went, and Jacqueline packed up to go home. She noticed that Dhani had been absent for a few days, and wondered what had been going on with him. She contemplated reaching out to one of his friends, or perhaps a teacher, but she didn't want to raise any suspicions.

As she made her way down the hallway she spotted Dhani's friends Tommy and Gerry chatting against the lockers. Her locker was conveniently located right where they were conversing, so as she opened it- she eavesdropped.

"I think George is just keeping him home now so he can rest." Tommy said.

"Poor Dhan must be bored out of his mind having to be bedridden." Gerry replied.

Jacqueline closed her locker rather loudly, the ruckus causing both boys look over at her.

"Hey Gerry, Tommy." She muttered with a smile. "I uh, heard you talking about Dhani...Um, if you don't mind me asking, what happened to him?"

"He's got the flu." Tommy replied curtly. Jacqueline could tell that they weren't particularly fond of her after their botched study session.

"Oh. Tell him I hope he gets better."

"Why don't you do it yourself?" Gerry scoffed.

Jacqueline stormed away from the two boys, tears welling up in her eyes. They had every right to be angry with her. How could she ruin the only friendship she had at High Lake? Dhani had been so kind to her, and in return she pretended he didn't exist. She had always been taught to love like Jesus, which in her mind meant to love everybody. Though her parents may not agree, she felt as if her attitude hadn't been very Christ-like, and she knew she had to make things right. Jacqueline bolted out of school and started walking in the direction of George's mansion. It wasn't very far, so she knew she could make it by foot.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Much to her surprise, the gate leading to George's house was wide open. Trespassing wasn't in her nature, but she decided to walk over to the front door anyway. After all, she knew George and Dhani, so she didn't feel like it was a big deal.

Jacqueline knocked on the large wooden door, nervously waiting for somebody to answer. A few moments later, a tall figure approached the door and opened it.

"JJ?" George scanned the girl with suspicious eyes.

"Hi George. I'm here to see Dhani...if that's okay?"

"It's fine by me, but you're going to have to ask him." He replied, stepping aside to let the girl pass. "You remember where Dhani's room is, yeah?"

Jacqueline nodded and walked up the stairs, clutching her backpack straps as with every step. When she approached his room the door was half ajar, so she gently pushed it open.

"Dhani?" She whispered. The boy had been sleeping, but woke up to the sound of her voice.

"Hey." He flashed her a tired grin.

"Sorry I woke you."

"S'alright." He muttered sleepily, pushing himself up in bed to make room for Jacqueline. Taking the cue, she sat down at the edge of his bed. "I'm a bit confused as to why you're here though. I thought you hated my guts."