-CHAPTER 17-

It took a few weeks for Rune to fully heal, for all risk of infection to disappear, and more importantly, for him to gain his strength back.

Lou couldn't have been more excited to go home. Finally.

Things had been weird. Rune was almost always quiet. Lou knew he was frustrated and in pain, but she didn't know how else she could help him.

Rune had a stern look on his face as he stood in the middle of the apartment, a deep frown shadowing his features.

"What's wrong?" Lou whispered, moving closer hesitantly.

"I'm going to let Blue take over," Rune said, finally looking at her.

"You are?"

"I don't need to avenge my uncle's wrongdoings anymore, not when it puts you at risk." He moved to her, cupping her cheeks. "You're my everything."

"That's a lot of pressure on me. I would not want to be the cause of you ending something that you felt you needed to do. I don't want to be in your way."

Rune pulled her closer. "You're never in my way. You're my partner, and you deserve better. You deserve more of my time, and more of what you want to do. It's not all about me."

"You were wearing yourself down," Lou added.

"I was filling a void until I met you. I'm ready to enjoy life. You make life so fucking beautiful, you know that?"

Lou felt her cheeks heat up, and Rune finally smiled, easing the tension on his sharp features.

He bent his head to give her a passionate kiss.

"Let's buy a house," he said against her lips.

She laughed, "A house?"

"Yes. Let's get away from the city. Get some fresh air, some quiet."

Lou had always lived in the city, but escaping it all sounded really nice, especially after her three near death experiences.

"I want a tree for a swing," she said, adding to his fantasy. "And a room for books."

Rune had every intention on making her dreams come true.

---

"Wow," Lou breathed when the real estate agent pushed open the doors that led to the pool.

"You can have seamless indoor outdoor living," she said, going outside.

The patio was huge with an outdoor kitchen and a fire pit. There was so much space it was crazy.

"The rose garden is straight back along with some open space. There are about six acres here, " she smiled.

Rune took Lou's hand.

"Feel free to explore, and I will meet you all out front in a little bit," she said, leaving the pair alone.

"Does this one feel different to you then the others?" Lou asked him.

"Like you can imagine yourself in every room?"

Lou smiled brightly up at him, happy that they were on the same page.

"I like the big shower," Lou said as they walked past the fire pit and into the yard. "I've never seen one so big. It's like three showers combined."

Rune nodded. "Nice kitchen and pool."

"Lots and lots of windows," she added, finally spotting the barren, brown rose garden. "This needs a bit of love, doesn't it?"

"I guess we should get some books on roses. It looks like they have some other flowers and vegetables trying to grow back here too."

Lou dropped onto a bench, and Rune followed.

"I wish I could contribute in some type of way," she whispered.

He sighed, throwing his arm over her shoulder and drawing her close.

"Everything that is mine is yours, honey, even money. We will be safe here. We can grow here. That makes it all worth it."

"This would be a far commute to the city for your company," she told him. The fresh air felt amazing. It was peaceful to be outside in the quiet, like their own piece of paradise. 

"It'll be fine," he shrugged. "I'm not worried about it."

Lou had a newfound excitement to finally be turning the page and starting a new chapter of her life. Rune was right, she was safe because she had him by her side.

"I think we can even find a tree somewhere for your swing," Rune said, giving her a nudge.

She smiled, looking up at him, only to find he was already looking at her with so much love and adoration that it caused her heart to gently thud against her chest.

He pressed his lips to hers, and she cupped his face, pulling him as close as possible.

"We should probably go talk to that real estate agent," he mumbled against her persistent kisses.

"In a minute," she whispered, wanting the moment to last forever.