Necromancy And Chaos

We took the magical elevator back to the surface, Jekyll making sure I wasn't straying too far, his eyes never leaving me.

"Do you want a picture?" I asked, as I caught him looking at me for the tenth time since the doors closed and we headed slowly upwards.

"You have to start trusting me, Dylan." he sighed "I still think you should have stayed behind, I make no secret of that, but if we are to find out what happened, then you are going to have to get over these petty feelings."

"Petty feelings?"

"Your angry, I understand that. After everything you've been through..."

No... I don't want to think about that.

"Don't." I growled, "All of you treat me like a kid. Like someone who's not in control."

"Are you in control?" Harry asked softly.

Not all the time.

"What good would it do if I told all of you how I really felt? It's not like you could help me."

Jekyll was silent for a moment, his blue eyes meeting mine, full of concern and worry, and I felt my expression soften.

"Maybe I can try," he finally said after a moment, "It is clear to see you need guidance. Friendship, if you will."

I bit my lip and shook my head. "I'm fine."

"Are you?" he questioned, "You have been through more pain than anyone I know."

"I don't need your pity."

I didn't want to admit how much it hurt, but I couldn't stop myself from letting it out. The anger had been bubbling inside me ever since Will Jackson made his way into my life, telling me things about Alec that I would need have believed if Will hadn't tricked us all in the R&R Club.

Seeing him that day was heartbreaking, and what I had been forced to do...

"It won't get any easier." Harry said, "I'm not going to stand here and lie to you, Dylan. Promise me something..."

His words shocked me, they had not come out of nowhere and I couldn't help feeling wary.

"Promise, what?" I asked cautiously.

"Promise me whenever it hurts, you won't shut yourself off. If you keep on pushing away those of us trying to help you, it's only going to end up hurting more."

My chest ached as soon as he finished talking. We were both silent after that, the sound of the wheels clicking as we continued to climb, light slowly shining down as we breached the surface.

I was glad when we finally stepped out into the fresh air.

The sun was just starting its journey towards the horizon, turning orange and purple above my head. My hair blew backwards slightly in the breeze, but I ignored the soft strands.

Jekyll walked ahead of me, taking in the scenery. He stood still as a statue, every now and then, glancing over his shoulder in curiosity. There were cars parked across from each other, some of them with engines running while others sat idly.

As we made our way through the streets everything seemed to be deserted. A few people milled around here and there, but they all disappeared as quickly as we reached them.

Something wasn't right.

When the building we were seeking came into view, Harry led me towards the entrance, all the while looking over his shoulder. The door was already open, which gave me an ominous vibe.

"Harry..."

Before I could say anymore, a voice called out to us from further inside.

"Well, hello."

A woman walking towards us, wearing a pink dress and a wide grin on her face.

"This isn't very nice, is it, Jekyll?" she asked as she walked closer, "Coming here uninvited, without so much as an apology."

Harry's eyes narrowed, his expression unreadable, "Anna. You've not changed." he said.

"And you got old." she teased "How does it feel, knowing you've failed?"

Harry didn't answer, instead, he looked past her shoulder into the house. He let out a small gasp, almost like he'd seen something terrifying, and ran forward before I could react. He grabbed Anna by the shoulders and pushed her against the nearest wall as she laughed.

"Come on Jekyll. Aren't you going to say anything?" she said, her smile widening, "After all, I did it for you."

"Dylan run!" Harry roared.

What the hell was going on?

A shadow appeared in the doorway, shining blue eyes and a wide smile, long dirty blonde hair. The man wore a blue suit and held a sharpened wooden stick in his hand that he twirled around like a baton. A stake.

His smile didn't falter as he advanced towards us, his eyes locked on mine and his lips curled up even wider.

"Dylan Colby," he said, his voice rough and scratchy, like sandpaper rubbing against itself, "you're late."

My heart froze in my chest, dread washing over me like the tide.
He knew me.

"Who are you?" I snarled, trying to keep myself calm.

The man stopped twirling the stake "I'm the one who attacked your brother." he replied "You can call me Jonathan."

Jonathan Cayhill. The psyho werewolf murderer.

"But, you're dead." I countered.

He was, or had been dead. Alec and Kian had gone to see him the day before The Council carried out his sentance.

Jonathan laughed then. "Death is arbitrary when you have a necromancer to hand."

Fair point... I looked closer to see his skin was blotchy and pale, and he had several bruises on his hands. When he flashed a smile again I noticed that several of his teeth were missing.

He was not looking good.

"Where are Alec, Kian, Victoria and Michael?" Jekyll demanded.

"Depends on who you ask." He answered coolly "Another universe. Or, Hell, in Alec's case."

"Hell?" I asked, confused.

"Yes," Jonathan said, "See, I'm afraid your brother is dead."

The words stabbed me straight through the heart, I struggled to breathe, my throat constricted painfully.

How could this be happening? What had gone wrong? What had Jonathan done?

"I wanted to kill him myself." Jonathan went on "Lilith got to him first."

Who the hell was Lilith?

"Why would she do that?" Harry whispered, still clutching onto Anna.

"You already know why." Jonathan replied "Chaos. She wants the world to end, but on her terms. Lord Lucifer left Hell, and now his favorite weapon is off her leash..."