I gave up when I saw my grandpa’s excited face.

“Where is my little girl?” he asked happily as soon as he walked through the door.

I got off the couch and walked toward him with a smile on my face.

He was wearing jeans and a simple T-shirt. Good. I won’t have to smack anyone today.

“Hi, sweetie.” he said, kissing my forehead. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes.” I smiled, looking up at him.

Two sets of arms wrapped around me from behind. Liam walked over to grandpa with a small smile.

“Two cars will follow you.” he said. “Don’t change the route, grandpa. Take her only where we agreed. My men have already cleared the area.”

I could feel Theo and Noah’s heartbeats on my back. I looked up at them worriedly. Both of them had their jaws clenched tightly. They were staring at grandpa and Liam.

“Don’t worry about them, honey.” Ezra said as he walked up to me, kissing my forehead. “They will be fine.”

I smiled at him, giving him a hug.

“Come on, sweetie, let’s go.” grandpa said, reaching out to take my hand in his.

“An hour, grandpa, not a minute longer.” Noah said, gripping my shoulder tight.

“I know, Noah, don’t worry.” grandpa smiled at him.

I turned around and wrapped my arms around my brothers. “I’ll see you in an hour.”

“Be careful, Lucy, please.” Theo whispered as Noah kissed the top of my head.

“I will.” I said as I let them go and smiled at them.

The worried look on their faces almost made me stay.

Grandpa placed an arm around my shoulders and led me outside.

“Bye!” I yelled at my cousins.

“See you later, short stuff!” Carter yelled.

He and Matt were back to playing video games. Dylan sent me a kiss and smiled.

Liam escorted us out. Three cars were parked outside. Two black SUVs were filled with guards. I saw Reece in the driver’s seat of one of the cars.

“See you later, love.” Liam said, kissing the top of my head.

I smiled at him and followed grandpa to the car. I sat down on the passenger seat, putting my seatbelt on.

I glanced at the front door and saw Noah and Theo staring at me with a worried look on their faces. I smiled and waved at them. My heart clenched painfully. I wished I could stop them from worrying this much.

Grandpa sat on the driver’s seat and started the car.

“Where are you taking me?” I asked excitedly.

“First, we are getting ice cream.” grandpa smiled. “Then I am taking you for a walk to Humboldt Park. It was your grandmother’s favorite place in Chicago.”

“Really?” I asked.

I always wanted to know more about my grandma, but I was always too shy to ask. Maybe he will tell me more about her today.

“Really.” he smiled. “It was also the place I found out I would finally get a granddaughter.”

“You wanted a granddaughter?” I smiled.

“More than anything.” he smiled, glancing at me. “I always wanted a girl. Don’t get me wrong, I adore my sons and my grandsons. But I always wanted to have a girl. I gave up on that dream after having two sons and five grandsons. Then one day, when I was taking a walk around your grandma’s favorite park, your dad called to tell me that Alana was pregnant with triplets, two boys and a girl. I almost cried. I think it was your grandma’s doing, you know? You are my little miracle, Lucy.”

“What was my grandma like?” I asked, hoping he wouldn’t be offended by my question.

A warm, loving smile spread across his face. “She was the kindest woman I’ve ever met. I loved her more than anything. You are a lot like her, sweetie.”

“I am?” I asked, smiling.

“Yes.” he said. “The way you speak with your brothers and cousins reminds me so much of her. Your uncle Daniel agrees with me as well. She was as loving and as understanding as you are.”

I smiled. It was really nice to know I have a connection with my grandma.

“What was her name?” I asked him.

“Beatrice.” my grandpa said with a small smile.

“I wish I could have met her.” I mumbled, looking out the window.

“She would have adored you.” grandpa said.

“What happened to her, grandpa?” I asked quietly, looking back at him and praying my question wouldn’t anger him.

Grandpa sighed, turning the car off. We were parked in front of the ice cream shop.

“She had a heart disease.” grandpa said sadly. “She died two years before Matt was born.”

“I’m so sorry, grandpa.” I said, reaching out and taking his hand in mine.

He looked up at me and smiled. “I love you, sweetie. I missed you so much.”

I smiled, and he pulled me into a hug.

“Okay, enough sad stories.” he said as he let me go. “Let’s go get that ice cream and go for a walk. We are wasting time. Your brothers will happily beat your grandfather’s behind if I bring you home a minute late.”

I laughed, opening the car door and following my grandpa into the ice cream shop.

_____________________________________________

Thank you so much for the 10k reads! That is far more than I ever thought I would get. 😍

I appreciate every view, vote, and comment! Your kind words and your interest in this story motivate me so much.

I wish you a wonderful day and I'm sending you all hugs and kisses. 🤗😘