Chapter 41

Theo POV

I woke up and groaned immediately. There is no way I slept more than two hours.

I opened my eyes slowly and looked to my right. I saw Noah on the other side of the bed, sleeping peacefully.

Why the hell am I awake?

I turned my head to look at the clock. 8:27 am. Way too early to wake up on a summer morning.

I sighed and turned on my left side, closing my eyes and trying to go back to sleep.

I buried my head into the pillow and smiled. God, I love sleep.

But something started bugging me.

Something felt wrong, but I couldn’t figure it out. My brain worked very slowly in the morning, making me frustrated. I wanted to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t. I wanted to figure out what was wrong, but I couldn’t.

Stupid brain.

I shut my eyes even tighter, taking a deep breath and convincing myself that everything was alright.

But then I figured it out.

The middle was empty.

My eyes snapped open, and I jumped up, turning to look at the empty space Lucy was supposed to be sleeping in right now.

The middle was fucking empty!

I felt my heart start to beat frantically. I could feel it in my throat.

“LUCY!” I screamed, jumping off of the bed and running through the door.

“What the hell?!” I heard Noah yelling after me, but I ignored him.

She was gone! She was fucking gone!

I was in the middle of the stairs, when I saw her leave the living room and start to run toward me. Relief hit me like a fucking train.

“Lucy.” I called her, running down the rest of the stairs.

I grabbed her and pulled her to me, wrapping my arms around her.

“I’m okay, Theo.” she mumbled. “I was in the living room with Carter and Matt.”

“Why did you leave?” I asked as I let her go, looking down at her.

“I woke up early because I had cramps and I wanted to eat ice cream, so I came downstairs.” she explained, looking behind me.

Noah was walking down the stairs, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

“I’m going to get a heart attack one of these days, Theo.” Noah grumbled. “You need to stop screaming this early in the morning.”

“She was gone.” I said angrily. “I was scared.”

“Hey, Sunshine.” Noah smiled at her as he walked around me, placing a kiss on the top of her head. “Where were you?”

“Eating ice cream.” Lucy smiled.

“Why did you have cramps?” I asked, remembering she mentioned it before Noah interrupted us.

“I got my period.” she said.

“That’s great, Sunshine.” Noah smiled. “Are you okay, though?”

Her gynecologist told us that she lost her period due to stress and malnourishment. We were very worried, especially after Nate explained how losing her period at such an early age can lead to other problems such as osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease, pelvic pain, and, of course, infertility.