Chapter 18

DYETH POV :O

             Gently running my nail over the fabric I expected to tear, I was left surprised by the fact that it didn't. I got a sarcastic laugh as the uncaring Lilith simply pulled it off, tugging the long sleeve to her chest angrily. Staring at her amber skin, I gently brushed her dirty white hair over one of her shoulders. My fingers brushed along one of the many small lines over her upper back.

        "Arrow scars, quite a difficult thing to survive," Hummed an uninvited voice from behind me. Glaring at the person who grinned but took a step back nonetheless, I pulled off my shirt to press into the long slash marks that cut through her charred magic circle. They were not clean, rather, it looked as if something had cut her from the inside. The rough, torn, skin almost folded outward at the force used.

        "You're going to bleed out," I called softly, her bleeding not stopping, while I just got a snort in return. "It's not a joke Lilith," I snapped, glaring at the back of her curl-covered head.

        "Isn't it though? Stop fretting," Her wounds burned a bright blue as her ears grew and lantern swatted me in the face. "They're closed now leave me alone." despite saying it, she didn't move, just gently wrapped her tail around herself. Rubbing my nose I frowned looking at her back again. She had more than just the arrow scars and the large claws now edged into her skin. None of which looked over a year old. Maybe less even.

         "... Lilith, where did you get these scars?" I asked softly, running my dark hand through the back of her hair, her neck as decorated with the small thin scars as her back, I could even see some hiding in her hairline.

          She turned with a glare, her glowing eyes sharper than usual, only, they dropped the harshness in less than a second. Replaced by a tired, exhausted, look instead. With a long sigh she pushed off one of her legs, holding her shirt to her chest with the other, and simply began to walk away. She didn't say anything. She didn't even lick her tongue at me. Just began to walk away.

       Blinking as I watched her leave, her tail disappearing in a flash of blue flames with her furred ears while she ran her free hand through her hair, forcing it back. She didn't so much as pause on her way out. Leaving me without even looking over her shoulder. She stepped outside of the fabric tent and even I could understand what she meant when she did. I crossed a line she hadn't even known about.

       She had always just brushed it aside if I had touched a sore spot before, pretend it wasn't anything she wanted to hide, leaving it out in the open in an attempt to hide it further. When she got mad, she didn't hide it. She snapped at me or she bit at me with harsh words and insults. That's how she was. She hid what hurt and didn't run from what angered her. But she just leave without so much as a half-hidden remark.

       She didn't know it was a line until I crossed it. Slowly getting to my feet I stared at where she had been for a moment longer. While she had certainly had scars on her body a very certain scar one that clawed at my mind. One on her forearm. One I had seen on her way out. A long vertical scar that practically went form her wrist to her inner elbow. She has worn long sleeves since my entirety of knowing her. That was almost certainly the reason.

        "That child can't be any older than sixteen, merger or not, for her skin to be so stained does leave one to wonder," The uninvited voice slithered back into my ear while my brow twitched. Glaring at them as they half-heartedly raised their hands, I went to follow after her, tossing the bloodied shirt right at that grinning face. "I suppose, I could say the same about you?" I heard over my shoulder making me click my tongue with a tsk.