Chapter 82 - A Welcoming Party

"Calm down, kid. He's gonna be just fine...considering he's got the attention span of a toddler."

You let out a frustrated groan as you pace the back of the metal flyer, pressing the receiver of Steve's black cell phone tight against your ear as Clint's voice trickles through, barely audible over the hum of the flyer's engines.

"He's not a child, Clint," you frown, hand on your hip. "And he deserves a little respect. You have no idea what he's been through."

"All right, all right...damn, Y/n. Relax. I'll take care of the old man," Clint says, mildly irritated.

The line falls silent as he waits for you to speak, but your lips are heavy - coated with an anxiety you've never felt before. You're worried. About Mikolaj.

"Listen," Clint says, breaking the silence. "I get you're worried. But the guy lived on his own for a long time, Y/n. He was fine, and he'll still be fine. And now he's got me here."

"He was only fine because the goddamn Spectres were keeping an eye on him for God knows what reason," you growl. "Who knows how often the intervened to keep him alive! And I didn't go to hell and back just to see him kick the bucket, Clint!"

Clint is silent for a moment, but when he speaks his voice is small. Sad. "You really don't trust me, huh?"

Your body flashes cold all over, and instant guilt gnaws at your conscience.

"Of course I trust you," you say quickly. "I'm sorry. I just...he's family, Clint. The only family I have left. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him before I had a chance to...to-"

"I get it," Clint says, cutting off your shaky speech as a tear threatens your eye. "Got a family of my own. I'll take care of him like he's part of it. Okay?"

"Okay," you nod, letting out a sigh of relief. "We'll see you in a few weeks."

"Wait," Clint says abruptly. "A few weeks? No way, Y/n. I was told days. DAYS. Weeks aren't days."

You sigh into the phone, bringing the hand on your hip to your forehead to try and rub away the aching buzz that's settled back into your temples like a distant relative visiting for the holidays. Familiar. Annoying. And you can't wait for it to leave.

"I don't know how long this is going to take, Clint," you say quietly.

"I can't be away from my kids for that long, Y/n," Clint scolds. "That's not a fair thing to ask."

Your heart sinks. You hadn't thought about the fact that while Clint was taking the time to watch over your family, he'd be leaving behind his. "Shit," you grumble. "I didn't think about...this whole family things is a new concept for me, Clint, I-," you stop pacing and lean against the side of the flyer, your shoulders sagging. "Okay," you say quietly. "Just...promise me you won't leave him alone. if you have to pull in Sam, or take him with you, just do what you need to do."

"Y/n, I-,"

"Promise me," you beg, voice weak. Tired. "Please, Clint."

Clint sucks in a breath at your plea. You can hear the sharp inhale as you hold your own breath, waiting for his answer.

"Fine," he says. "I'll make sure the coot is always with someone. Even if I have to drag his ass a couple hundred miles to the farm. Happy?"

"Yes," you answer. "Thank you."

A sharp *click* tells you Clint has hung up the line. That guilt is back, and settles low in your stomach. But you ignore it and pocket the phone as you close your eyes and let your back lean fully up against the wall, the vibrations shaking your entire body. For a moment, you let the sensation takeover as you melt into harsh rattling.