Introduction

"Really, we had the perfect end...That night, we shared at the Comfort Inn...We made love like the world would have ended...If either of us had admitted it...We were in love...But I was the only one...So I was the only lonely one"...

I was ready to go on stage. I was performing at a charity event, and I knew he would be there. I was nervous. I'm always nervous before I go on the stage, but after I feel the vibe from the crowd, it goes away.

 However, this was not the case tonight; this was a different kind of nervousness. Only he can bring this out in me. I didn't think that I would be able to face him after what happened between us. 

"Rayne, you are on in five minutes," the stage manager told me. 

"Okay." 

I took a deep breath and slid my hands down my sparkly gold dress. My hair and makeup team came over to me to do last-minute touch-ups. My manager walked up to me like he did before everything I do now. He helps me calm down. 

"Okay, Rayne, there is no need to be nervous. Everything is going to be just fine. You will have two sets tonight. Um, let's see here." 

He looked over his sheets. 

"The last song should be, um, oh, that's right, the one that started this charity." 

"Okay, I got it." 

"But you never told me what the other songs are." "I still don't know myself." 

"So, what did you and the band do at rehearsal?" 

"Okay, Rayne, they are ready for you." The stage manager returned and grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the stage. 

"It doesn't matter now, does it."

The host for the evening finished announcing me. I could hear the crowd clapping and cheering. I walked out onto the stage and waved a little. I hugged the host before they left off the stage. 

I grabbed the mic and the stand and adjusted it a little. I looked over the crowd. I never expected this event to have such a huge turnout. I saw my mother sitting at a table, and she waved at me. I didn't see him, and boy was grateful. 

I cleared my throat and stood up. 

"I would like to thank all of you for coming out tonight and supporting this cause. It's a cause that is near and dear to my heart. I have some family members who have been through this, and I know firsthand what it's like to see your loved ones endure what they have to endure. We need to find a cure. So donate whatever you can; any amount is enough. I truly appreciate all of your support." 

Everyone begins to clap once again. 

"Are you guys ready to hear some music?" 

More claps and screams could be heard. I didn't know what to sing. My band and I had just been going over everything possible. Earlier today, we were messing around and creating a new sound during rehearsal. I told them that I wanted them to play in between each set. 

That was the type of artist that I was. Nothing was expected of me. I would create and do new songs just days before or right in the middle of a performance. I turned to my band and let them know.

"You might have heard this song before. It was on my first album. If you know it, sing along with me."

After that song was over, everyone began clapping again. I was trying to catch my breath from moving back and forth on stage. I put the mic back on the stand. My eyes landed on him. 

My nerves were starting to get the best of me. My band began playing the song we were working on earlier. This song had no beat but would make a great transition from each song performed tonight. 

Something came over me, and I began to come up with lyrics. To let the band know to keep playing, I said one, two, closed my eyes and just started singing. 

"One, two, one, two. Thought I told you not to trust these hoes. Say they love you when you know they don't. Say they will, but shoot, you know they won' Yeah, you hear me, you don't feel me, though."

 I sang while looking at him. He was the reason for these feelings. He was the reason for this song. I needed to let it out. I needed him to hear me out. 

A/N: As of today, December 14, 2023, I am going through and editing these chapters. Expect updates and new material. Coming soon...