Chapter 5: unspoken past

September 2th

"Tommy?" Wilbur asked out loud. He heard noises from upstairs, which was good. Cause that meant the kid was finally awake.

"Tommy?!" He shouted again.

Small footsteps could be heard and it didn't take long until the two crossed paths.
"Ah! Tommy. You ready for some breakfast?" The brunette asked and he got a nod in return.

"Great! Do you want toast? Or cereal?" Wilbur asked lifting bread in one hand and cereal in the other one.

"Uhm.. it doesn't matter, i can eat whatever." The blond said smiling nervously.

"Alright, you can take which one you want." The brunette said, stepping aside to let Tommy pick first.

The kid hesitantly walked up to the counter. He looked back at Wilbur for any reaction or sign. But the adult just smiled.
Which made Tommy even more nervous.

The blonde picked up the cereal package and hesitantly started to make some breakfast. Looking up at Wilbur and then down to his bowl over and over again.

The brunette easily went up to the counter to, standing next to the trembling boy while he cut himself some bread.

He whistled some tunes and Tommy seemed to relax more and more. The kid's shoulders slowly sinking down.

They ate in a comforting silence. None of them felt the need to talk. But it slowly turned uncomfortable as the blond didn't know what to do when he was done.

"Do you have a school you go to? Or do you want to change school?" Wilbur suddenly asked. Mostly cause it looked like the younger one would pass out from fear.

"..yeah."he said nodding.

"Okay, could you tell me where? School starts tomorrow and I'm going to drive you there. If it's not a ten minutes walk, of course." The brunette said grinning warmly.

Tommy gave a small smile back.
"It's not that far away from here. I can walk." He whispered out.

"Alright. When does it start? And end." The musician continued to ask questions.

"It starts at eight-thirty and it ends around four." Tommy explained. His legs swinging back and forth anxiously as he spoke.

Wilbur continued to make small talks the whole day every time they crossed paths or ate.
Which was good.
Cause that would take away all the awkward silence.

But it's not as quiet as it was yesterday at least.

-

CRASH!

Wilbur's head snapped up at the noise.

'What was that?!' He thought as he stood up to go and inspect it.

"Tommy?" The brunette called out. Worry visible on his tone and face.

-

Tommy was trying to make dinner. He really was trying!

He had been a selfish, useless son to Wilbur yesterday. Doing nothing all day.
So he has to make it up for him somehow.

And everything went as planned.

The blonde set down the spaghetti in a pot. He took out the tomato sauce and he started to put the cold meatballs on the hot pan.

He was cooking!

But then, when everything was done, and he was going to take out the plates, he accidentally dropped one of them.

It slipped between his fingers like a feather. The only difference is that it landed with a crash. The pieces was on the floor. Shattered and unfixable.