xvi. Vanaheim

Around six months later

The past week had been a grueling round of training. Magic knowledge and practice tests with Frigga, and combat tests with Heimdall.

Leila's teachers thought she was ready to go out on missions. The prospect both excited and terrified the woman, but the last few months of training had prepared her.

The warriors three, Sif, Thor, and Leila were to set out for Vanaheim in a few hours.

Leila shakily adjusted the straps of her battle armor. She wore steel armor over a dark purple tunic and brown leggings. The set had been specially made for her by the palace's craftsmen, enchanted fabric and metal strengthening her powers and providing protection.

She fastened her sword belt to her waist, looking at her reflection in the mirror. A knock came at her door, and she called out for the person to enter.

Frigga walked in. She looked at Leila's armor and smiled. "My dear, you look very formidable!"

"Thank you, queen Frigga." Leila grinned softly.

"Please, I told you months ago to just call me Frigga!" The queen waved her hands. "Listen, I just wanted to tell you... I know you are nervous. But you will excel. You are very well prepared... And we both know Thor will protect you if need be. Better than he will himself." She sighed. "He cares for you a great deal, Leila."

"As I care for him." Leila's cheeks flushed a deep red as she looked at her hands folded into her lap.

Thor and her hadn't exactly talked about the kiss they had, but they had continued spending much of their free time together. He would also often walk her to her room after dinners, where they would share a quick kiss before parting.

"I will speak to you later, after your mission. Best of luck, my dear." Frigga touched her shoulder lightly and left the room.

Leila sighed, looking in the mirror again. Time to do this, she thought.

-

Leila spun away from an attacker's fist and ducked to swipe at their legs with her sword. As soon as they had fallen, another enemy took their place.

She felled the masked enemy with a blast of blue flame, finishing them off with another sword strike.

Sif rode in on a mighty horse, dropping to the ground a few feet away from Leila and joining the battle, her dark hair streaming behind her.

Some of the attackers had gun-like weapons. One of them was aiming their gun at some of the fleeing civilians. Leila threw up her hands to form a barrier. The projectiles were stopped and destroyed in spots of blue flame.

The hairs on Leila's arms stood up as the air crackled with electricity. Thor slammed the ground with his hammer, a wave of lightning disrupting the group of enemies around him.