10. "Can I Kiss You?"

Start from the beginning

"The same Courtney that you used to have a crush on?" She questions.

I toss my head back, a groan of frustration falling from my lips.

"I didn't have a crush on her, mom!" I turn to face my mother.

"It was just one kiss, one stupid little kiss that I'm sure she doesn't even remember."

The older woman tilts her head to the side a little as she continues to stare at me.

"You seem frustrated." She acknowledges.

"Yeah, because my own mother is insinuating that I used to have a crush on my ex-best friend." I state.

My mom does not immediately answer as she instead makes her way over to the sink where she places her empty mug.

She remains silent as she turns around to face me, leaning back against the edge of the counter with crossed arms.

"I know I joke, but please promise me that you will at least think about a possible future with her." My mother requests.

"Mom-" I begin to shake my head only to stop when my mom holds her hand out.

"I'm not asking you to date her or even marry her. All I'm saying is that I want you to think about a possible alternate reality where you two end up together."

"I regret not giving my best friend the chance as soon as I noticed the signs of a possible attraction..." my mother glances down at her white socks with a sorrowful expression.

"...now I will never get the chance." She whispers more so to herself.

I drag my bottom lip into my mouth, my teeth nipping at the soft skin.

My mom appreciates my father. I mean, I probably wouldn't even be here without him. However, I can tell that she really regrets not only losing contact with her ex-guy friend, but also not giving him a chance when she had the chance.

"Okay, I'll think about it." I answer with a low tone.

As if tuning back in, my mother glances back up into my eyes with a gentle smile. She leans off of the counter and makes her way towards me, taking my face in her hands once she has reached me.

"You always do the right thing,Gill," she whispers.

"Don't mess this up." She tells me with a cryptic voice before placing a kiss upon my forehead and walking off.

Before she has the chance to reach the door, I hear her throw something over her shoulder.

"Don't forget to tell Courtney that I say 'hi'."

Okay, that was a weird conversation.

Suddenly remembering the original reason why I came into the kitchen, I make my way towards the refrigerator where I press the glass to the lever labeled 'water'. In mere seconds my clear glass is being filled with equally as clear water.

Once the glass is full to my liking, I remove it from the lever and bring it up to my lips.

Courtney's eyes drift away from mine and towards my hair that is messily tied up into a ponytail.

Her hand that is resting on the back of the couch slowly makes its way towards said ponytail.

"Do you remember how we first met?" She ignores my question as she twirls a strand of my auburn hair around her manicured finger.

A smile makes its way onto my face.

"Yeah, we met on that overnight field trip to Nepal." I answer.