xix - before the storm

"𝒊 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒈𝒂𝒊𝒏!"

❁❁

July 3rd, 1985

TIME SEEMED TO STOP IN ITS TRACKS as the kids ran out the hospital doors, terror overtaking their faces as they stared ahead at what El left of him. Andy Harrington didn't know how to describe it. But whatever was lying on the streets, dripping into the sewers, was pure nightmare fuel. The air sounded wet as its rubbery, vermillion flesh leaked into the hole in the street, leaving nothing as evidence it was there except for thick animal bones, mangled and torn apart.

Silence swept through the car as they drove back to Hopper's cabin. Andy wanted to talk about what happened, but it looked like the only one who did was her. They knew it wasn't the last of him. It never was. Every single time they thought that maybe Hawkins's many years of doom and gloom were finally over, he came back stronger than ever. This time they left with a few scratches, but something told them the next time they ran into him, they wouldn't be as lucky. Just that thought sent shivers up her back. Andy tried to distract herself from the grim fate that awaited her by gazing out the car window at the fireworks illuminating the dark July sky.

-

Glancing away from El's bedroom door, she looked over at Mike to see him pacing around the room, more on edge than ever. And he seemed to be that way ever since last night, after the encounter with the Mindflayer at the hospital. He had finally won Eleven back after nights of missing sleep thinking about her, dreaming about her too. So it wasn't surprising that Mike was so worried that something might happen to her.

He gave another look at the olive green bedroom door, wiping his clammy hands onto his shirt. "It can't be good for her to be in there this long." He groaned for the tenth time, collapsing onto the sofa beside Adrienne.

Max rolled her eyes at the boy. If Mike whined again, she was sure she'd go insane. "Mike, you need to relax," Max reassured him, trying not to lose her temper. She was really beginning to run out of patience with him.

"What if she gets brain damage or something?"

"Oh, shit," Andy widened her eyes at the redhead. "Is that, like, a real thing?"

"No, it's not. He made it up. Mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about." Max rolled her eyes for the second time in one minute. But that's not even considered a personal best for her.

"Oh, and you do?" He slowed down his pacing to sneer at her.

"Yeah, because I'm not the one controlling their girlfriend like she's their pet or something."

"I'm not controlling her. I'm just worried about her because you guys are treating her like garbage. Nothing about this is healthy for Eleven — so stop forcing her to use her powers like she's some kind of machine!"