Chapter 31 - there's cake?!

Start from the beginning

I received no medication, no treatment, no support from doctors or nurses, no support from family. I had to carry on as if nothing had happened, under strict instructions to not tell anyone anything.

"Rosie?". I lifted my head and saw Lucy leaning against the doorframe, holding Narla as if she was a baby. I looked around my room silently - I was in Manchester, not Sunderland, and I had people around me who cared, unlike last time. She stood awkwardly at the end of my bed, deciding whether to come closer to me. Eventually, she sat down next to me. Close, but there was still a fairly big distance between us.

I hated any form of physical contact. But then I met Lucy, and my body accepted any bit of it I could get - trying to make up from what I had missed out on for the 15 years prior. After my most recent attempt, it was so easy to slip back into my old ways and flinch away any time someone came close to me. Lucy passed Narla onto my lap and I held onto her tightly. I didn't mind physical contact with her, it was just humans that I couldn't seem to handle very well at the moment.

We sat in silence for a bit, watching the sun set outside my bedroom window, until I spoke up first, "I had a flashback of the last time this happened". She didn't respond, just letting me say what I wanted to say without any interruption. I continued, "I had no one... absolutely no one. But now I do, and it still happened. I don't know what's wrong with me". Lucy made a brave move and placed her hand on my leg. My body tensed up, but I couldn't bring myself to move it. She searched my eyes for any kind of emotion, but there was none, and responded, "nothing's wrong with you". I bit my lip and questioned her, "then why do I feel like this? I'm in the best possible situation anyone could ever ask for, and I was so selfish". She moved her hand and snaked an arm around my waist, gripping tightly to my side, "you weren't selfish. You did what you thought was best for you, and me and Keira understand that". I laughed sarcastically, "I'm glad you understand, because I haven't got a fucking clue". She stood up and held out her hands to pull me to my feet. When I was standing, she pulled me in for a slow but warm and comforting hug. She was hesitant at first, but when I didn't pull away, she gripped me in a way that made me feel safe.

I went into my bathroom to get changed as she lay on my bed on her phone. She was probably texting Keira. Honestly those two can never get enough of eachother. They need to hurry up and get engaged because I can't wait to be a bridesmaid.

When I was done, I tried to jump over Lucy to get to the side of the bed that I sleep on, but failed and landed on top of her. Causing her to groan and say jokingly, "hey!" She rolled me off of her and we laid in silence until she spoke, "I love you". I smiled to myself and responded, "I love you more". She laughed slightly and said, "not possible baby girl. Not possible". I sighed in defeat and rested my head on her shoulder, in an attempt to get some sleep.

Lucy stayed with me until I fell asleep, either running her fingers through my hair or rubbing my back. She was there the whole time - and that was the most important thing.

The next day

Lucy Bronze's POV:

I looked up from the salad Keira and I were preparing for this afternoon's BBQ and saw Rosie shuffling into the kitchen with a blanket around her shoulders. She murmured a 'good morning' before making her way over to the coffee machine. Keira stopped her before she pressed the button, "are you sure you're allowed to drink coffee?". Rosie replied, "they didn't say I couldn't, so I guess so". Keira tried to reason with her, "maybe just have water?". Rosie frowned and whined, "but that's boring...". Keira sighed and went to get her a glass of water, but Rosie told her, "don't bother, it'll be fine. Luce, tell her". I responded with an answer she didn't really want, "actually, I agree with Keira. You've just come out of hospital, maybe just take it easy for a few days, yeah?". She narrowed her eyes and glared at both of us, "so that's it? I'm stuck on a shit diet for however long you decide?". I rubbed my forehead and while Keira answered calmly, trying to prevent an argument, "Rosie please. Just listen to us". We had both given up telling her not to swear around us anymore because it just made her more frustrated and angry. Once again Keira peacefully calmed the situation. And that is why I love her so much.