"Walikum Assalam", Amma Jan smiled. "Ismail let Zain sit here",

"Of course", Ismail uncle rolled his eyes and stood up from the bed leaving space for Zain.

"Come here Zain", Amma Jan patted the bed.

"Come here Zain", Ismail uncle copied Amma Jan.

Zain smiled. He turned his head back and signaled Hadia through his eyes to come inside. He knew she has been avoiding Amma Jan since morning. Hadia nodded.

Instead of sitting down, Zain lay down on the bed with his head on Amma Jan's lap. It was one of his old habits. Amma Jan checked Zain's forehead with the back of her hand, it was still warm.

Hadia walked towards the chair.

"Hadia, you can sit here too dear", Amma Jan's voice stopped her. Hadia turned around, facing Amma Jan.

"Sit with me", Amma Jan said.

"Hmm", Hadia nodded. Stepping forward she settled down on the corner of the bed beside Amma Jan.

Amma started lightly pressing Zain's forehead.

"Amma Jan-",

"Fever causes terrible headaches", Amma Jan stated.

Amma Jan dipped her face and kissed Zain's head. At times, his patience and big heart make her eyes fill with tears. She has never heard him complaining about anything. He had been the one sacrificing his comfort and wishes for everyone.

"I was thinking we should replace the couch in Zain's room", Amma Jan said.

Hadia and Zain both stiffened simultaneously.

"But we just bought it last month", Ismail uncle grimaced.

"Yeah but", Amma Jan paused. "We can donate that and can order a coffee set for them. It is more in fashion these days. In fact, let Hadia decide the one she would like for her room".

"But they should be one to make choices for themselves", Agha Jan intervened.

Zain opened his mouth, "It's new and we ca-",

"As you wish Amma Jan", Hadia replied without a second thought. Her heart was beating erratically. She didn't want to say no to Amma Jan.

Amma Jan smiled.

"Ismail, call the butler to get it sent right away", Amma Jan said.

"Abhi? (Now?)", Hadia blurted. Her voice came out a bit louder. Zain snapped his head in her direction.

"Do you have any issue with it Hadia?", Ismail uncle asked. Hadia looked into amma Jan's eyes for a fraction of a second and then quickly her eyes floored.

"No", she shook her head violently.

"Sure?", Ismail uncle asked again to confirm her wish.

"Yes",

"As soon as Zain gets better, you both can visit a store and buy new furniture. But we have to make the space first", Amma Jan placed her hand on Hadia's hand and gave it a light squeeze "Sometimes, spaces are not present we have to make them ourselves".

*****

Standing in front of the mirror Hadia ran the hairbrush through her dark tresses. Her thoughts were occupied by the fact that the couch was taken out of their room along with the extra mattress and duvets. She shifted her gaze at the mirror, Zain was standing in the middle of the room.

When did he come out of the washroom?

She bit her lips, placed the hairbrush on the dressing table, and turned around. Her eyes met with him. A moment of silence stretched between them.