CHAPTER-13

Ranjish hi sahi dil hi dukhane ke liye aa,

Aa phir se mujhe chorh ke jane kay leye aa

Kuch tou mere pindar-e-mohabbat ka bharam rakh

Tub hi to kabhi mujh ko manane kay leye aa.

*****

“Tabrez has negotiated quite maturely with the farmers. Zain was right, if it’s was not rectified through negotiation the dispute could have caused irreversible damage to our reputation”, Chaudhary Aslam praised Tabrez.

“I told you Chaudhary Sahb, Tabrez has the qualities of a perfect leader”, Zain smiled proudly.

“The farmers have been paying huge electricity bills to our men. We need to have a background check on that who is involved in all this”, Tabrez stated.

“Let it be Tabrez”, Chaudhary Aslam said.

Tabrez’s eyes traveled towards his father and he comprehended whatever was happening in the village his father was well aware of it already or maybe the part of it too.

“Okay”, Tabrez nodded.

“So what did you settle with the farmers?”, Zain asked taking full interest in the conversation.

Munshi sahb won’t collect the bills from the farmers from now on. They will pay it directly into the bank. There is also an agriculture relief scheme going on at a national level that will provide them subsidies on fertilizers, cottonseed, pesticides, and sales tax on locally manufactured tractors, etc. So I promised the farmers I’ll accompany them to Lahore to talk with the government officials”, Tabrez illustrated.

“You never fail to make us proud son”, Rukhsana Begum said proudly. “When are you going with them?”.

“Day afte-“, Tabrez looked up as he felt Hadia’s presence. She put down the bowl in front of him with her eyes down.

“Day after tomorrow as I’ve committed”, Tabrez said turning his gaze back towards the table but her hands grabbed his attention. Just before she was about to step back he held her wrist. Hadia flinched.

Everyone paused, their eyes shifted towards them.

“Leave”, Hadia mumbled and tried to take back her hand from his hold.

Tabrez loosened his grip on her hand, slowly and carefully he turned her hand to have a look at her palm.

“Leave my-”,

As his gaze fell on her palms, he inhaled a harsh breath and his eyes went wide. Her palms were red and he could see blisters budding all over.

“What di-”, he looked up, his eyes met with her swollen eyes.

“Tabrez has your dinner”, Rukhsana begum called.

“Did you cut the chilies?”, Tabrez glanced back at her palms and worriedly mumbled. “She has contact dermatitis”.

“Have your dinner”, Ruskhsana begum said again. He turned towards his mother and involuntarily his grasp eased on hadia's wrist. Taking the opportunity Hadia released her hand and ran away.

Tabrez instantly stood up.

"Hadi wait", he called out.

“Tabrez sit down”, Rukhsana begum raised her voice.

Raanjhana | رانجھاناजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें