Chapter 14

Nearly a week later, John and Carrie had taken the children to the park across the street from the building where the penthouse was located, allowing Marlena some much needed time to herself. She sat on the couch, enjoying the fall breeze as it blew in from the open terrance. She was realizing how content she had been since she'd left Roman. John had been gone for less than an hour, when she heard a knock on the door. Marlena laughed, thinking he had forgotten his keys, and opened the door without thinking. "Did you forget your keys, John?" she said. She was confronted with a very angry Roman Brady.

"What the fuck is this, Doc?" he said loudly, standing there with what was obviously crumpled divorce papers in his hand. He sneered at her, saying, "John's wife died, so now you're divorcing me?"

"Roman, Isabella's death has nothing to do with this," Marlena said, wishing that John were home, and that she wasn't alone.

Roman pushed past her into the penthouse, without an invitation, and said, "It's got everything to do with this. Everything." Roman held up the papers again, "You think I haven't noticed the way you and John panted after each other for the last year? You're like fucking dogs, Doc!"

"I think there are a lot of factors that contributed to this, but I'm not discussing it with you now. Not when you're angry, Roman," she said, still standing by the door, and watching him pace the living room like a caged animal. "I'd like you to leave."

"I'm not leaving until you admit the truth!" Roman roared. "Admit it!"

"The truth? What truth?"

"That you're fucking John. Admit it!"

"I'll admit, I'm unhappy. I've been unhappy, but you cheated on me. You have our daughter scared to death to be around you!" she said in frustration. She left the door open, but stepped into the living area.

"So you're not fucking him? Or you are?" Roman demanded.

"Roman, you are being crude, and disrespectful. I asked you to leave," she said. "The children could come home, and I don't want them to see you like this."

He stepped up to her, grabbing her upper arm, and digging his fingers into her flesh, "You are my wife, Doc. My wife. You're certainly not John Black's wife."

"I'm not your wife, Roman. Not anymore, now let go of my arm. You're hurting me," she said, trying to fight back tears. She attempted to pull her arm away, but Roman only shook her, and held on tighter.

"I haven't signed the divorce papers, Doc. I'm not planning to sign the papers, and until I do...you are my wife."

"Please let go of me, Roman."

John and Sami had decided to run home and grab snacks for everyone, while Carrie stayed at the Park with Brady, Alise, and Eric. When the elevator doors opened, Sami ran out ahead of John, and towards the open penthouse door. "Peanut, wait for me," John called after her. It was then that he heard the shouting.

"Let go of my Mama!" Sami screamed at the top of her little lungs, hurling herself towards Roman.

When John entered the penthouse, he saw that Roman was holding onto Marlena's arm, with Sami hanging off of Roman. "Take your hand off of her, Roman. Now," John said in a voice that brooked no argument.

Roman seemed to realize that the situation had escalated, and he released her, watching as Sami jumped into Marlena's arms, and started crying. Roman was full of furious jealousy, as John quietly told Marlena to take Sami upstairs, and then turned to him, looking as angry as he'd ever seen the man. "A week ago, you grabbed her. You left bruises on her arm. You knocked her into a wall, and she still has bruises on her back! Don't touch her again," John said in low tones.