Chapter 13

Marlena was in the shower two days later, when her daughter's face and name hit her like a ton of bricks. One moment, her mind was blank, enjoying the spray of the hot water along her sore and bruised back, and in the next, she saw Alise. Her sweet , little, Alise, with her Daddy's blue eyes, and the most gorgeous blonde curls. Rinsing her hair quickly Marlena rushed from the shower, intent on finding John.

Downstairs, John was making pancakes for the children. The music was playing, and Sami and Eric were playing with Brady. When the doorbell rang, John became instantly nervous. Roman had already come by twice, since realizing where Marlena was, demanding to see the children. He'd seen Eric, but Sami had refused. Roman was irritated when Marlena didn't insist that Sami speak with him. Roman felt like Marlena was giving Sami too much autonomy, and Marlena felt like Sami needed to know that she was safe, and protected.

Wiping his hands briskly on a tea towel, John walked to the door, opening the peek-through first to see who their visitor was. Tony DiMera was standing on the other side. Opening the door quickly, John said, "I have been trying to figure out how to contact you. I wasn't expecting you so quickly."

"I never received your message, although I feel as if the topic of conversation might be the same," Tony said, entering the penthouse. He looked around the large room, and saw the three children playing off to the side. They looked happy, content. They looked like they were having a childhood unlike the one he had, and he was grateful that they could. Being as direct as possible, Tony said, "My father died three weeks ago."

John stared at Tony, unsure as to what he should say. If he offered condolences it would be a lie, so he simply waited for Tony to continue.

"Anna and I were visiting each of fathers properties, meeting the staff, and clearing up loose ends. When we arrived in San Cristobal—"

Tony was cut off, by Marlena running down the stairs, her wet hair flying behind her, "—Alise! John, I remembered! Her name was Alise!"

John looked at Marlena intently, reaching for her hand and tugging her closer, "How?"

"I don't know. I don't know. I was in the shower, and my mind went blank. Suddenly there she was in my mind's eye," Marlena said quickly. Touching John's face, she whispered, "She has your eyes."

Looking towards Tony, John said, "You found her, didn't you? In San Cristobal?"

"Well, yes, as I was saying, I asked the staff to assemble and was rather shocked to see a child in the group. The nanny informed me that she had been hired by my father to watch over the child, and the child informed me that her mothers name was Marlena Evans Brady," Tony continued. "I'm hoping to get her to you. I want you to know, I had nothing to do with this. Nothing."

Marlena said, "I believe you, Tony. I believe you. My memory has been coming back slowly...and this was all Stefano. All of it."

"Where is she?" John asked.

"With Anna, downstairs in the limo," Tony said. "I can call Anna, and have her bring Alise up right now. I wasn't sure of your reaction, so I had them wait."

John nodded at Tony, and while Tony used the telephone, Marlena said to John, "We have to tell the children. This is so sudden."

"Hey Sami, Eric? Can you two come over here for a moment?" John asked them, sitting on the couch. "I've got some news, and it's a bit of a shocker."

"It is a surprise?" Sami asked. "Because, I love surprises, Daddy!"

"I like surprises, too!" Eric said.

"Do you remember when Mama was gone for awhile, and how happy we were when she came home?"

The twins nodded their heads. Marlena sat down on the floor, pulling Eric into her lap, saying, "When I was gone, I had a baby. A little girl."