Chapter 30 - proud

Start from the beginning

Rosie was currently sat up in bed which was progress from this morning when she couldn't even bring herself to open up her eyes. Keira's voice dragged my concentration away from the window, "Luce? Are you okay?". I walked over to her and sat on the end of Rosie's bed, reaching out to grab both of their hands in mine, and saying turning my head to face Rosie, "despite the circumstances, I'm pretty good. I was just watching the people in the garden - maybe you could go out there one day?". Keira interrupted, "only if you're ready though". Rosie rolled her eyes at us and stated, "you're acting as if i'm going to be here for the rest of my life. I don't want to go in any stupid hospital garden. I want to be in my own garden with Narla, playing football". Keira reached up and squeezed her other hand, "I know you do but you're not well enough". She grumbled and rolled her eyes once more, "I would be if they didn't give me that medication that was making me sick. What did the doctor say about that?". I looked sympathetically at her and answered, "he agreed with us that you shouldn't have it anymore. God knows why he prescribed it in the first place". Keira looked at both of us and tried to make us understand, "he will have his reasons. He's a respected doctor here so he knows what he's doing. Don't worry". 

We began to have a conversation. Something that hadn't happened while being in hospital. It was always forced or awkward, but today it just felt natural. Rosie was telling us about the disgusting food that she was receiving and how she longed for Keira's cooking, when the door burst open. I whipped my head round when I heard the door and stood up, to be met with Millie and Rachel. I questioned them, "what the hell are you doing here?". Millie smirked and answered, "we came to see Rosie of course". Keira joined in the conversation, completely shocked, "Millie, you drove up from London and Rach flew from America to see Rosie?". Rachel answered, "close. I was staying in London with Millie anyway so when we heard, we couldn't not come up and see her". Rosie, also shocked, announced, "so you drove nearly 4 hours just to come and see me?". They both nodded their heads and then Millie said sympathetically, "we had to. After we heard-...heard what happened". Both Keira and I walked over to them to greet them properly with a hug. I mumbled into both of their shoulders, "thank you". When we had greeted them, Keira exclaimed, gesturing to all of the bags that they had tumbled into the room with, "what the hell have you brought with you? Did you just empty Millie's house or something?". They both exchanged a mischevious glance and I groaned playfully, "oh God...". They began to hoist the bags up onto the bottom of Rosie's bed but failed comically and Keira and I had to step in and help. 

"we brought stuff for Rosie" Millie said. Rachel then explained further, "in that bag there's blankets, in that one there's pyjamas, comfy clothes and a pair of slippers because that old hospital gown is not a good look i'm afraid". Millie continued as Rachel inspected the rest of Rosie's room before sitting down on her bed next to her, "in this bag there's all your favourite food and drinks because I know hospital food is disgusting and in that one there is a tonne of coffee for Lucy and Keira because I guessed that they would need it". I smiled very appreciatively at them and Rachel clapped her hands suddenly and loudly, "hurry up! Get out of that ugly looking thing and get into some actual, comfortable clothes". Their energy made Rosie climb out of her bed carefully and take the pile of clothes that Millie was holding out for her and she headed into the bathroom. Immediately, Rachel asked, "what the fuck has happened?" I shook my head lightly and tried to answer, "I can't explain. She hasn't told me the reason or anything". Millie reached out and put her hand on my shoulder, "Luce, it doesn't matter if you know why. It happened and now you need to support her instead of pestering her about the reason". I tried to protest, "I've only asked her twice-...". Rachel joined in, "twice too many times". I hung my head in defeat - they were right. I shouldn't be focusing on what has already happened, it's not as if I can go back in time and change it. Even if I could, I don't know what I would do to stop it from happening.