76. Raining Cats and Dogs

Start from the beginning

"Sound. I'll tell Roman he can continue." I made a note to contact Roman and stuck it on my monitor. The list of things I had to do before I leave was growing. The last thing I wanted was to think about work while on holiday.

"Hey Bondy? Is it alright if I sit out on this one?" I asked. I felt horrible as it was supposed to be Larry and I but I could use that extra hour or two to work on other things. Luckily Bondy understood.

"Of course. My only ask is that you choose something interesting to add."

"Something interesting. Got it." My mind was already thinking of ways to torture them and I was grinning at the thought.

"I know that face," Bondy chuckled. "Have mercy."

-

They didn't go under until 3 PM which was pretty late for a Friday. Bondy got caught up in meetings and had to keep pushing it back. He almost pushed it to next week but remembered I was going to be out for two weeks so he sucked it up.

"Why don't we go under for an hour?" Bondy suggested, eyeing the clock. Larry nodded his head and put the details in so the program could calculate how much anesthesia was needed. "You can manipulate the dream whenever but not within the first fifteen minutes." We learned that it's not wise to manipulate the dream too early. Your body is still settling in so it doesn't work as well.

"Got it," I said, nodding my head. I was finishing up my report and half-listening. When I'm in the right mindset to do work, I find it hard to stop but all I have to do is type something in after fifteen minutes and before the hour wraps up. That shouldn't be too hard. I already knew what I wanted and began chuckling at the idea.

"Bondy, let's swap and check each other's settings," Larry said, standing up.

Bondy double-checked Larry's entries and calculations while Larry made sure the probes were set correctly and that the anesthesia was set to the correct amount. Once they were satisfied, they set the delay for five minutes and got seated, putting everything on. I watched as the timer went to zero and I set my timer for 25 minutes to remind myself to enter something and went back to work.

There was a soft knock on the door which caused me to jump as it was just me and the others were asleep. I got up and opened the door to find Florence standing there. My first instinct was to close the door as I didn't want Bondy and Larry to see her but then I remembered they were asleep.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, wondering why she was here. But don't get me wrong, I was glad she was here because I miss her.

"I just got off work and thought I'd let you know that my manager approved my time off so I can go," she said, smiling.

"That's great!" I replied. She could've texted me or told me when I got home but I guess she got excited and wanted to tell me right away. "Do you wanna come in and talk about it?" Florence tried to look past me into the room and I realized she was looking for Bondy and Larry.

"They're currently going under," I said, opening the door wider so she can see them. "Why don't you come in?"

Florence walked in, not bothering to take off her coat or bag because she knew she wouldn't stay long. Her eyes lingered on Bondy and Larry who were both knocked out. It must be strange seeing people besides yourself going under.

"Can you tell me your flight details so I know which tickets to buy?" she asked.

"Why don't I buy it for you so we can sit next to each other?" I suggested. She seemed to like that idea.

"Yeah, that works. Let me know the total cost and I'll pay you back."

"And what about hotels? Do you want your own room or do you want me to upgrade to a room with two beds?"

"Upgrading is fine. I mean—if you're okay with that." You could tell that last part was added as an afterthought. She obviously didn't mind but didn't want to sound eager which caused me to grin. It was different dating someone who was more open, more daring. "Are you gonna be able to finish everything before you leave?"

"Erm...maybe. There are some things I'd like to finish before I leave but the amount of stuff I have to do keeps piling up. I'll probably be home a little late today, sorry about that."

"Why are you sorry? You have to do what you have to do."

"What about you? Were you able to finish everything in a day's notice?" Florence snorted.

"No but the other analysts can take over. All the info and data is there. Someone needs to put the report together and present it."

I was surprised at how nonchalant she was at passing her work onto someone else. It was something that I need to learn but it doesn't help when you only have two other coworkers who are equally as busy. Plus, I find it hard to delegate without feeling guilty and without micromanaging them. I have high standards for the quality of my work and I hate that I expect it from others too. Florence turned her attention back to Bondy and Larry.

"Whose dream are they going under?" she asked softly.

"Larry's dream."

"It's strange to think that's what we look like when we go under. Have neither of them really been in your dreams?"

I didn't answer but simply nodded my head. Florence is the only person I've let in. It was initially on a bet but I'm glad I went through with it because I have someone to talk to about my dreams, someone who understands me. All of a sudden, my alarm went off which caused the both of us to jump out of our skin. I forgot to adjust the volume and frantically silenced it. My heart pounded wildly as I waited for them to stir in their sleep but after a few seconds, nothing happened.

"I need to manipulate their dream," I said in a low voice. Florence cocked her head to the side in curiosity and I beckoned for her to follow me to the computer. "I'll explain later."

Florence followed me and I was suddenly aware that she was close, looking over my shoulder. I tried to stay calm and clicked on the text box to type something in.

Raining cats and dogs.

Literally. I pressed enter and couldn't wait to see their reaction. Bondy's code takes things literally which I find hilarious so it's not going to piss down rain but rain actual cats and dogs. I wondered how Larry's dream would manage such a bizarre request and I couldn't hold my laughter in. Florence stared at the screen still not understanding my amusement but knew she had to be patient.

"What's so funny?" she asked, not being able to wait.

"Bondy's code takes things literally so it will actually rain cats and dogs in Larry's dream."

"No way!" Florence shouted and I quickly clamped my hands over her mouth to silence her. She didn't like that one bit because she squirmed out of my reach, swatting my hands away. "Get your filthy hands off my mouth! The only thing I want on my mouth are your lips."

"Funny because I reckon my mouth is filthier," I replied, smirking and Florence blushed.

"Jesus, get a room, you two." Florence and I quickly turned our heads to see that Bondy had woken up. "I fucking knew it."