Returning gifts

My alarm clock rang very loudly the next morning. I hit the damned thing like I always did every morning, but for some reason even after I heard the loud thud it fell to the ground with, the stupid alarm continued to ring.

I placed my pillow over my head groaning. After a few minutes, I sat up.

This was my final day in college and I was already feeling nostalgic. Not that I would miss waking up so early in the morning. But I would miss all my friends. Cici, Carol, Dalia, Josh, even Bridget.

Four years on this roller coaster ride had dumped many memories I would cry over when I entered the college premises today. The thought of that just seemed to give me the energy I lacked to get ready for my last day of school.

I grabbed my phone for my morning routine. Just as I touched it, it rang.

"I hope you're awake."

"What time is it?" I yawned.

"Almost eight? Are you still in bed?"

"Na-ah. Of course I'm awake. I'm almost ready." I lied through my teeth.

"Good. Cause I just picked up Drew and Shannon and we're headed your way."

"Last day of college, G." Drew yelled. I faintly heard Shannon's voice in the background too.

"Bye."

Michael hung up.

I threw my phone to my bed and immediately rushed to the bathroom. I did what usually took me ten minutes in five.

After yelling my lungs out for my mum, she finally came upstairs.

"My hair. They're coming. Hair, now." I yelled impatiently.

"Speak clearly dear. What are you saying?"

"Michael and the gang are almost here. My hair is wet. Please dry and straighten it while I get dressed. Thanks mum."

My mum immediately grabbed the hair dryer, blowing hot air on my hair. Because I was trying to get dressed at the same time, every now and then the hot breeze would touch my nape. But I didn't stop trying to get dressed. I wore my shirt when I was certain my hair wasn't dripping anymore and buttoned it as quickly as I could. And then I wore my jeans while sitting on my dress chair. I wiggled a lot, and mum, of course, complained a lot, but she didn't stop straightening my thick black long hair.

I got up in search of my brown boots, my hair caught in the straightener. I had to bend my head backwards as I walked so mum could keep holding onto the straightener. Everywhere I moved, mum moved with me. At one point she even hit me on the back, but I was too occupied to care.

I grabbed my shoes that I had found under my bed and returned to my seat. That's when I remembered I'd forgotten to grab a pair of socks.

"Mum..."

"Now what?"

"Socks."

"For crying out loud, Georgia..."

"We're wasting time by just talking about it. I'll be quick."

My phone rang at that moment. I dreaded picking it up, but I did.

"We're outside."

"I'm coming out now."

I dropped the phone and was about to jump up for my socks.