Hurts and lies

Georgia

Just then my phone rang. I racked inside my old white and black nylon excuse for a bag and brought it out. My face contorted when I saw the caller ID.

Like reflex, I brought the phone to Michael's face. Drew leaned in from the back seat, sighing when my phone screen was in his face.

"You didn't block his sorry ass after what he did to you?" Michael wasn't happy about it, and it showed.

I continued to look at my screen.

"Give me that." Drew tried to grab the phone from me, but I moved my hand away before he could.

"No. I'll deal with him myself."

I jumped out of the car and took the call.

"Georgia, I know you probably don't want to talk to me but please, let me explain." Tommy said the second I accepted his call.

"There's nothing to explain. But you know a postcard would have worked just as well for a breakup speech. Smoke signals too. I hear they're really effective these days." I tried to sound chirpy and not like the heartbroken girl I was.

"I couldn't do it. That's why. I really didn't mean to hurt you. I have... obligations I cannot ignore. If I had a choice I would choose you over and over again. But I don't. The minute I chose to go back to my family, I lost my right to choose everything else. Please, give me a chance to explain."

The sadness in his voice tug at my heart strings.

"Tommy—"

"Georgia, you have every right to be furious. I don't deserve to be forgiven. I won't even ask you for that. All I beg is that you see me one last time. In an open place." He added quickly, " A restaurant. Any restaurant of your choice. Let me just explain myself before we go our separate ways. I don't want your memory of me to be bad. I loved you, you know I did. Just one last chance to explain... please."

"Fine."

"Thank you so much. Where are you right now? I'll come pick you up."

"I'll send you the address."

"Really Georgia, you're the absolute best."

The call came to an end.

Michael and Drew came down from the car.

"What did you do?" Michael squeezed.

I knew they'd been watching me.

"He wants to talk. That's it."

Drew's hands folded into a fist in anger. I was sad about this decision and I hoped they wouldn't make it worse.

"And you agreed. Why?" He said with gritted teeth.

"Because... because... I just..." They were staring at me with so much condescension and I lost it. "He wants to talk okay? And I, I want to hear him out. What's so wrong about that?" I shouted.

"He fucking married someone else yesterday while dating you. He couldn't even respect you enough to break up with you before saying 'I do' to somebody else and you still wanna talk to him?" Drew yelled. He was so furious it was frightening.

"Chill, Drew." Michael intervened.

"Chill? Did you not fucking hear her say she wants to meet the bastard."

"I did. And i'm also surprised. I am totally against her seeing that jackass even for a split second. But don't forget, this is still Gia's life. She calls all the shots. And I trust that she knows what she's doing." Michael couldn't hide the deprecation in his voice if it cost him his life.