He chuckled for a little bit before tidying up the area.

As she settled and got her pillows in order, Matt leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Good night."

When was the last time someone had done that? With so much affection? The ache in her chest slowed down, replaced with a light, fluffy feeling, as if someone had showered flowers against it.

The drum machine, her heart, sat in her ear, pounding so greatly her eardrums were about to burst. She tried hard to fall asleep, but every time she did, she'd start giggling about Matt kissing her.

He likes me. He wants me.

Another giggle escaped her lips before darkness ate her vision and she fell asleep.

Someone held her hand in her dream world. She'd been here before but couldn't tell where. The sun shone high at noon and sweat dribbled down her back.

The hand that held hers was covered in mud.

It was the summer in India two years ago, eight months before she lost her memories.

Vishnu scolded her for fearing the bugs and shoving them both into a rice paddy.

But it was with a gentle hand that he pulled her up and walked her back to his parent's house, to wash the mud away. When she lifted her head to thank him, after being hosed down, Matt stared back at her, smirking. Vishnu was nowhere to be seen.

'You like me, but you're afraid of something,' he taunted.

Why was he here? The hose was in his hand, still draining water.

Then, he said the words she dreaded.

'Do you really like me? Or are you still not over him?'

She almost slapped him. Vishnu was gone from her life; getting over him had to be forced on herself, so she wouldn't drown in her emotions.

Instead, she settled for grabbing Matt's shirt and shook him. 'I'm over him. I just don't—I don't want to use you. I can't hurt you.'

He smiled softly and kissed her forehead. 'You're not using me; allow yourself to acknowledge that.'

Matt leaned over and grabbed her ass. 'I'll make it worth your time.'

Rani blinked and looked at the time on clock in the living, which read 1:00.

She'd been barely asleep for two hours. Her heart bounced around in her chest, bumping into her ears and pulsating like a nasty wound.

The sensation of his fingers on her butt felt too real, despite his bedroom door being shut.

~~~

Rani kept fidgeting at breakfast.

Matt couldn't understand why; the night had been quiet. No sudden thunderstorms rattled his house and sleep. He didn't even dream of anything.

Her hair looked like a bird's nest, barely contained by her rubber band. The darkness under her eyes had doubled and they seemed puffier. Baby hairs floated above her head, dancing to the AC already blasting in the kitchen.

"Hungry?" he asked.

She nodded.

He shoved a plate towards her. "Eat the pancakes then. They're worth the wait."

"Worth?" she croaked.

The sleepiness shook out of her eyes, and she raised them to meet his own. Her blush floated across the counter. It was something about how her eyes widened, like embarrassment had pierced them.