Day 12: Moods & Madness

Start from the beginning

"This is weird." I said.

He chuckled, rocking me slowly to the side. "Why?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, it's just weird. We don't do this."

"Hold each other?"

I nodded.

He didn't say anything, he just kept rocking me to the side, his head resting on mine.

"I like it."

"Me too."

                           *     -     *     -     *

"Are you gonna come to work with us?" I asked Daryll, wiping the milk Lane spilled off of Emily's head.

He looked up at me. "I don't have a job."

"It's okay, Lane and I are the CEO's, we'll get you something good to do for the meantime, it's only two more days anyway."

"If it's only two days then why can't I just stay here for the time being?" He asked.

"Because I know you, and we both know that leaving you here isn't a smart idea."

He didn't say anything, but he nodded and got up from his seat, taking his plate to the sink before heading back to his room to change.

I watched him the whole way, the sadness was clear in his demeanor but I didn't know what more to do. Bringing him with us just opened the day up to more opportunities for me to not be helpful.

It was better than leaving him at the apartment where something stupid is bound to happen, but it still sucked not to know what to do with my best friend. Especially since I was all he had left at this point.

I sat Emily up on the counter, my eyes roaming down to his neck.

"Um, Lane?"

"Yeah?"

"Why is Emily at an eighty-eight percent?"

He stopped eating, setting his bowl down on the table, giving me a sheepish smile. "About that..."

"Lane!"

"It was an honest mistake, I promise, I didn't mean to drop him I was just playing catch with him and then-"

"You played catch with our baby?"

"No, not like with a ball, the kind where you throw your baby up and catch them. People do that with their babies all the time.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "How high up?"

He didn't say anything.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Lane?"

"He's made of plastic, he could handle it."

"Clearly not!" I motioned to the screen which read a clear 88% as oppose to our previous 90.

"You do know that he's a doll right?" Lane asked.

"Yes, and he's twenty percent of my grade!"

Lane sighed, coming closer to me and putting a hand on my arm. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? Wh-"

"Don't touch me." I said, brushing his hand off of me. "You're not even taking this seriously Lane, the one thing that's important to me is that I do well in school and you go play catch with twenty percent of my grade."

"Dawn, it's an eighty-eight, you're not going to fail." He said.

"I know it's an eighty-eight but it's still going to bring me down. I know it's not a failing grade, but you don't care about this and you know how important this is to me, you should care enough to not play catch with him."