Volume 12, Side Story 3

Kankanwa 12-12 Marc-kun, Hang in There 4

The sub-title "12-12" means that this quiet story is about the end of Chapter 12, Episode 12.

Please be careful.

"Come on, Marc, this is our home from now on!"

"Wow, that's great, Dad! It's even better than when we lived in the village!"

A house was built in a pioneer village.

The one who opened the door was Marcel, Eugene's slave and a member of the dog people. He was holding the hand of his son, Marc. Both of them had big bright smiles on their faces that resembled that of a Golden Retriever who just received a new toy.

They walked in, unable to control the wagging of their tails. Nina, Marcel's wife and a member of the cat people, was following right behind them. It was obvious that she was also in a good mood.

Eugene had promised that the first house built in the settlement would be for Marcel. The beastman family finally moved out of the tent and into their new home, accepting the proposal of Blaise, a former third level adventurer who is now the deputy village chief in the settlement without Eugene.

"It smells like wood, Dad!"

"Yes, it does, Marc."

"Wood feels much better than dirt, Mom!"

"Yes, it's nice, isn't it?

Nina still seems to turn "nya" into "meow."

Marc is now 13 years old. He will be 14 in six months, in the fall. He's in the middle of puberty, but he doesn't seem to be in a rebellious phase. Or perhaps it's just because he's excited about the new house.

Thomas, a woodworker, and his two assistants have built a cozy, one-story cabin house.

One room is an earthen floor with a kamado. There seems to be an underground cellar in one corner. There is also a dining room and kitchen with a spacious lower ground storage area.

The other room has a wooden floor. This is the living room and bedroom.

The house is a newly built wooden 1DK with no bath and shared toilet.

In modern Japan, this housing would note be sufficient for a family of three, but the beastfolk happily spread out the carpet and put down their belongings.

Nina, who was in charge of cooking, seemed to like the storage space under the floor with a wooden lid dug into the dirt floor.

Incidentally, in addition to the cooking stove in the mud room, there is a common cooking area in the village. The kamado is used for keeping food warm, simple cooking, and for heating. It had a very similar function as a hearth in old Japan.

"So this is our home from now on!"

"That's right. Even Nina seems to like it, since it is in a forested area."

Nina nodded her head in agreement to Marcel's words. She is a quiet woman. No, she seemed to be curious about the arrangement of the cooking utensils and dishes. She is a fickle woman. Just like a cat.

"Yeah, Dad, I think that's a good idea too!"

"With Blaise and the others here, we won't have to worry about any monsters. Besides..."

"Besides what?"

"I don't know about Liese, but I've got three... young girls here, you know?"

Marcel smirks as he looks at Marc's face and tells him. It's not as if Marcel, a married man, is interested in young girls, of course.