Volume 12, Side Story 2

Start from the beginning

"Actually, I was thinking about..."

"Hmm?

"After spending one winter together, I've started to get real close to these guys. But they are criminal slaves, right? When this service is over, they'll just be relocated..."

"You're a good leader. How to work in the same place, huh? You want to be a criminal, too?"

"Hey, Mr. Blaise, I hope you're joking! We're not into that kinda stuff anymore!"

"We're not going to do that anymore!"

The woodcutter and the monkey shake their heads in denial.

"A rest stop at...?"

"Oh. It takes three days to walk through the forest from here to the town of Premiere. Even if the road is completed, it will still take a little over a day. If you use a horse, you might be able to get there in a day, but... Even if we don't call it an inn, just having a resting place should make things much easier. And if we say we're going to turn it into a pioneer village, we'll be able to devote ourselves to it for a while."

"I see!"

The seven people's eyes lit up when they heard Blaise's proposal.

Overcoming the harsh winters in the snowy forest, protecting themselves from the wyverns, and working together, they sweat and toil. The unity of the seven seems to have hardened completely.

"'But do you think they'll approve our proposal?"

"Hmmm... Anyway, I'll let Eugene and the others know when they get back. I think we can make it work if Eugene, Kevin, and Gilmas' father approve."

"Oh! Thank you very much!"

"We're in your debt!"

The seven of them are still showing a mysterious glee.

"Hey, wait a minute!"

"Oh, thank God, we made it!"

The next morning,

The seven men were about to depart from the perimeter of the settlement to join the main road-building party when Blaise, the deputy village chief, Thomas, a woodworker, and Dominic, a former third-level adventurer, appeared in front of them.

"What's wrong?"

"'Yeah, you're going back to the main unit, right? I wanted to give a letter to the guild officials. Take this guy with you."

"What? Yeah, that's fine..."

Blaise patted Dominic on the shoulder.

The literacy rate in the settlements had risen after Eugene had provided the local language instruction book that Kevin had given him. As the former leader of the third level adventuring party "Dark Green Wind", Blaise had always been able to read and write easily.

"If the road is halfway there, Tomas said, it would be faster to clear the way from here and have the wood brought to the settlement. I'd like to talk to him about it, so I'd like you to go get the guild officials. Dominic will be the escort."

Dominic nodded in affirmation to Blaise's words. He's still a quiet man. It's a mystery how he seduced his wife.

"Yes, I did! We also have a cart that uses the tires provided by Eugene..."

Thomas pointed to two carts in the clearing, visible through a gap in the fence. There are two wheels on each cart.

The wheels on each cart were tires that had been removed from Yuji's mini-car that had stopped working.