Cold

We clinked our glasses together and each took a sip of wine and stared at each other's face while slightly smiling out of curiosity.

"Tell me, Hawks, what's on your mind?"

His face dusted pink and he looked away, "I'm just surprised you're here with me. I thought you would stand me up."

"And I thought you stood me up. Look at us, expecting the worst. I guess that's how humanity has failed us. We all expect the worst until proven otherwise." I popped a strawberry in my mouth and was pleasantly surprised about how sweet it was.

He looked back over at me as I continued eating the strawberries. "You are very perceptive aren't you?"

I looked up as I was about to eat another one, I put it down and looked him in the eyes. "If I'm not, then I'm just as naive as the citizens who think they are 100% safe just because heros are around."

"The citizens are safe." He crinkled his nose.

I tilted my head, "Why would we need heros if crime wasn't constantly happening?" I took another sip of wine and looked into his eyes. So tempted to use my quirk but not wanting to give myself away, I just kept staring until he responded.

"Fair enough. Tell me, what made you so hateful toward the world?" He took a sip of his wine and smirked at me this time.

I chuckled, "Funny thing is, I don't even remember. I just knew one day that everything was ripped away from me and the man who raised me taught me to never take the world for granted." Oops I was spilling my guts. To a hero no less. I better put down the wine.

"The man who raised you isn't your father?" He set down his glass with me.

I looked at the city lights, "I'm not sure. It doesn't feel right but I still call him Father. We look nothing alike."

He placed one of his hands on mine and I looked at our hands, "My parents weren't around either. I was raised by no one I could even dare to call my parents."

Was he sharing his past too?

I didn't pull my hand away but I looked him in the eyes again and suddenly my heart started beating out of my chest.

No. No. Stop it. He's a hero. You can't let yourself crush on him. He could end everything you love.

I finally pulled my hand away and wrapped my arms around myself shivering from the sudden gust of wind.

"I didn't know we would be up so high, I would have brought a jacket." I shifted my hands up and down my arms trying to warm them.

Hawks' wings wrapped around us blocking out the wind and I felt so warm. With the candles and his red wings, the lighting shifted to mood lighting and my heart started pounding again. I picked up my glass of wine and started to drink it at an alarming rate.

"Alice, are you okay?" He tipped my glass downward and then put his hand on my chin and made me look toward him. "I can take you back home if you're uncomfortable. I don't want you to feel unsafe."

My bottom lip started to quiver, "I'm okay, I think it started to sink in how high up we are once the wind started to blow. I know I said I wasn't scared of heights but I guess prolonged heights freak me out."

"No problem bunny. I'll take you back down to the park we met at. I would prefer to take you home but you seem like a private person." Some of his feathers started to pack up the food and candles into the basket and he kept his focus on me.

I nodded my head, "Yes please. I'm so sorry." I looked down in shame.

He picked up my chin again, "No need to be sorry, you didn't know."

Yeah didn't know I would end up crushing on you.

"Thank you Hawks." We stood up and he grabbed me by the waist.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my head in the crook. He decided to wrap his other arm around and placed his hand on my upper back. Holding me more securely than on the way here.

This time I focused on his touch. It was warm and protective. His scent was intoxicating. He smelled like mahogany and vanilla.  He flew a bit faster noticing me tense from the gusts of wind. He also held on tighter to make sure I felt safe.

We landed next to the pond I was staring at earlier. I didn't let go for a few moments after we landed.

"Alice, we are here." I pulled my head backward and saw we were in fact on the ground. His hands lightly dropped from around me. His fingers tickling my back as he did so.

I retracted my hands slowly from around his neck doing the same thing, "So we are."

I took a step back and admired him in the light from the lamppost.

"Alice, I do hope you'll see me again. Here is my number if you think about it. I won't bother you if I see you in public if I hear nothing. I will respect your privacy." He looked bashful as he handed me a piece of paper to me.

I grabbed the paper and stared at it as he walked away. I looked up as he was about to take off flying, "Wait!"

What am I thinking?

He turned around to face me and I ran up to him. I put my arms around his neck and jumped on my tippy toes. My lips crashed onto his. I took him by surprise but he quickly regained his composure and kissed me back. His hands went around my back and up in my hair. He pulled me in tightly but also gently.

I pulled away and look to see his reaction, he was genuinely smiling and not smirking.

I stepped back and started to walk backward toward my house, "I'll text you!"

He waved just before I turned around, "Looking forward to it bunny!"

That damned nickname made me all giddy inside but I kept it cool and I looked over my shoulder one last time waving goodbye. The walk home was so cold and quiet. The wind was harsh even down here.

I can't believe I just had my first kiss. I had my first kiss and it was pro hero Hawks!

Oh.
My.
Gods.

Father is going to kill me.

My phone buzzed.

'Hey brat'

'Hey pretty boy'

'Are you still busy?'

'No but I'm heading home right now.'

'Hungry?'

My stomach grumbled. I realized I didn't eat much of what Hawks made.

'Starving'

'Drop me your location, I'll come get you for a late night snack.'

'What is even open? It's 10pm'

'Just do it you brat.'

•location dropped•

'See you in five'

'Whatever pretty boy'

No response. Not even opened. Is he already driving? A few minutes later, a black ford thunderbird pulled in front of me.

"Get in princess."

I didn't argue and just got into the car. His hood was down and his black hair looked so hot all messy and his piercing blue eyes stared at me as I buckled in.

"So where are we going?"

He chuckled and looked forward punching the gas, "You'll see."