Chapter 30

Keahi

I wake up to Malia stroking my hair gently. Without opening my eyes, I muse happily before turning on my back to look at her. The library is flooded by sunlight.

"Morning." She smiles at me.

"Morning," I reply. I enjoy her head scratches for a little longer before asking for the time.

"It's six am so we still have time," she tells me. Even though it is earlier than I would usually get up, I feel more awake than ever.

At seven we decide to leave the library. We somehow end up holding hands but it's fine since no one is up at this time. Don't judge me, I'm just trying to see where this goes privately.

I thought we were alone.

"What the hell?" Eteri is standing in the corridor we just turned in, hands on her slim hips as she takes turns glaring at me and Malia. The two of us stand closely together, close enough to certainly be suspicious, and I pull our intervened hands behind my back to hide them from Eteri.

"Is this why you broke things off with me? Because of her?" Eteri snaps, her voice a pitch too high. I almost wince at the second-hand embarrassment. Sure, she might be hurt right now but this act is below her.

"You know why I broke things off with you," I say, my tone carrying every bit of proof that I'm done with this.

"Then tell me she means nothing!" the girl snaps again and I roll my eyes.

"Of course, she means nothing!" I say, knowing it's a lie but desperate for her to just go away. What I hadn't considered is the fact that I just confirmed that Malia means nothing. In front of Malia.

The girl pulls her hand out of mine so quickly I almost flinch and I instantly miss the heat of her skin against mine. The temptation to look at her is almost unbearable but I know if I can keep it together for just a little longer now, I get to have a private conversation with her sooner.

She must know I'm lying, right? She knows my tells.

"Good. Now come to breakfast with me," Eteri demands, looking content. Her one-eighty mood switch almost gives me whiplash but instead of showing it, I simply glare at my former friend, for a lack of a better title.

"Fuck off Eteri, don't try to tell me what to do." My voice is cold enough for her to leave without putting up a fight. With one last bitter look, a venomous stare at Malia, and blazing cheeks, she's off.

Thank the skies for that since I really don't want to waste my time with her when I could stay in this weird bubble with the princess for a little longer. I turn towards Malia as soon as the other girl disappears behind a corner.

The strangling knot in my stomach is instant. Malia looks on the verge of tears and the evidence is clear despite her best efforts of hiding it. I'm painfully aware that I'm the reason for it.

Unsure what else to do, I say, "I'm sorry about her." It quickly turns out to be the wrong thing to say since Malia's jaw drops. She gapes at me for a second, pulling away when I desperately try to reach for her.

Damnit! I wreck my brain for words, anything to make Malia hear me out but I come up empty. For the first time in my life, I'm completely tongue-tied.

When the girl looks about ready to leave, I croak a hoarse, "Malia." Her name sounds desperate from my lips but she just shakes her head. I hear faint voices in some distant corridor and look over my shoulder.

"Let's go to the janitor's closet. Talk to me, please," I plead with her all the while thinking that I'm acting pathetic. I'm really having an inner battle here.