Chapter 5

Keahi

It is time for breakfast, and I just got my food. They gave me a piece of bread and a pear and I'm trying to walk back to my seat, now, cursing myself for not having eaten earlier like I usually do. The cafeteria is so crowded people can't seem to avoid touching me.

I try my best to keep my temper in check but snap around when someone falls against me. It's a kid my age and their eyes go wide when they recognize just who they disturbed.

"I- I-" they stammer, and I roll my eyes.

"I- I-" I mock them. They look frozen in place, and I take that time to look at their tray. I reach for their green apple with a smile on my face. The kid looks on the verge of tears at this point and I am ready to leave, satisfied, just for a voice to stop me.

"Give it back!" My eyes zero in on the little girl next to the kid. It takes me a second to recognize her as the new girl. She is wearing the same clothes as the night before but isn't shaking anymore. Her blue eyes glare up at me and I can't stop the smug expression that takes over my face.

"What did you say?" People around us are watching.

"Give them their apple back!" she says loudly and the students nearby seem to hold their breath.

"And why would I do that?" I ask her provocatively. She narrows her eyes.

"Because it's theirs." I can't see a hint of fear or resignation on her determined, little face. I'm not worried though; I will get her there. She doesn't know me or my powers yet. The only concerning thing is the spark of hope in the eyes of the people that do know me as they watch the scene unfold.

I square my shoulders and take a slow step toward the girl, expecting her to step back. But she doesn't. A low murmur goes around the room and this girl continues to stare at me. I lead her friend's apple to my mouth and take a big bite of it.

"Now it's mine," I state after swallowing the bite. Her eyes turn to slits, and she looks beyond pissed. Before I can react, she grabs something off my tray. She takes a bite of my pear and people around us gasp. Not that I'm able to properly hear them over the blood rushing in my ears.

This new girl just undermined my power in front of all these people and I see red. I put my tray down on the closest table and take a long step toward her. She must see the flames dancing in my eyes because now she looks scared. She takes a small step back, but I wrap my hand firmly around her wrist to make her stay.

"Not so brave anymore?" I chuckle darkly as her eyes widen. "I am aware you are new but there is something you should know." I tighten my grip and feel my hand tickle softly. Even better, that will leave an impression. "If I say something is mine, it's mine," I hiss so it's just loud enough for her to hear.

"Keahi!" a familiar voice booms behind me and I quickly let go of the girl's arm before turning around. Kaz is stalking over. His usually warm eyes are now firmly staring down at me. He looks between me and Malia a couple of times before speaking to her.

"Malia, show me your arm." I'm glad to see her hesitating. She's clutching the wrist I held with her left hand but there is no other sign that she is in pain. That just means she has a strong poker face since I know my burns hurt.

"Alright then, follow me." the trainer says once it becomes clear that Malia doesn't intend to do as he asked. Kaz leads the way out of the room and the two of us follow. We walk in silence until he tells us to sit down in an empty room.

"Show me your arm." My trainer's voice is less soft and more demanding now, so Malia follows his order. There is a red handprint where I held her, but the burn seems superficial. Kaz's expression tells me I am in a lot of trouble nonetheless.

"Explain," he orders coldly.

"She stole my pear and things got out of hand. I am sorry." Apologizing, even if I don't mean it, is the best way to handle a situation like this. Speaking of experience. Tell the teacher what he wants to hear and he'll be less hard on you.

"Is that true?" he asks Malia. She swallows and sits up straighter.

"He stole the apple of my friend and wouldn't give it back. I made it even." This might make sense to her, but it is clearly not the answer Kaz wants. He wants to hear that she regrets her actions and feels sorry.

"Well, the rule an eye for an eye doesn't apply here," he says sternly and then sighs. "But hurting each other is unacceptable, you know this Keahi. I will get back to the two of you later. In the meantime, behave." He dismisses us and we both walk out of the room.

"Sorry for stealing your pear," Malia says when we are alone in the corridor. I turn my head to see if Kaz perhaps decided to follow us but it quickly becomes clear that we are alone. I furrow my eyebrows, confused about her behavior.

That apology gets her nowhere, why would she waste her breath? Especially now rather than when it actually mattered? I school my features, cock an eyebrow and turn back to her.

"There is no teacher around," I say but she doesn't seem to understand. "You've got some stuff to learn," I laugh rather than elaborating.

"Teach me then," she says, and I laugh even more at that. It's her turn to raise an eyebrow at me.

"Let me make this very clear since you don't seem to get non-verbal hints. No," I say before walking away. I can still hear her huff but don't turn around. I pass her friend, whose apple I stole, without so much as a look in their direction and get back inside the cafeteria.

————————
Opinions on the mcs so dar? Keep in mind, they're just kids rn...

Have a lovely day<3