Chapter 13

Keahi

"I can't believe he benched me!" I exclaim. Eteri just came back from training, and we are sitting in my room. I don't remember ever spending time in here except when curfew demanded it, but that seems exactly what I will be doing this week.

I am allowed to go to the regular classes in the morning but can neither participate in the training in the afternoon nor can I go to the single training rooms. There are some public spaces in the academy, but I most certainly don't want to be around other people. Especially now that I can't put a toe out of line.

"I can," Eteri shrugged, "Honestly, what were you thinking?"

"Nothing. I wasn't thinking at all. It was like every ounce of common sense and self-control left my body and rage took over." I hit my fist against the wall in frustration and Eteri flinches a little.

"Remind me never to get on your bad side." It's an attempt to lighten the mood, but nothing can help me right now.

"You should go, I am not in the mood to talk," I say coldly. She seems disappointed but leaves, nonetheless. It's a little before 6 pm so dinner will be available soon. Most people here don't eat before seven but that is just the intriguing part.

I get out of my bed and go to the cafeteria. As expected, no one apart from some younger kids is already in the hall and I can eat in peace.

Instead of heading back to my dark room when I'm done, I walk to the janitor's closet, climbing up the vent and letting the fresh air soothe my temper. There is a slight breeze, and the setting sun colors the blooming field around me in the most beautiful way.

Spring always used to be my parent's favorite season. When I really focus, I can still conjure up a faint memory of us taking day trips to the lake and feeding ducklings. The thought of them is still painful and images of the night they were killed flashed across my mind. I have to concentrate hard to push them out of my mind and let out a scream of frustration.

Normally, I try to be quiet when I am out here to reduce the chances of getting caught but my emotions would overflow now that I can't train. This release will temporarily have to do. I find that screaming helps. After another five minutes of enjoying the view, I'm calm enough to go back inside.

"What were you doing in there?" a soft voice asks from my right when I walk out of the janitor's closet. I turn to see Malia. Her cheek is healed completely, and she looks as pretty as ever.

Hold up.

I did not just think of her as pretty! Of course not. Though her blue eyes paired with that black hair might not be completely ugly when you think about it.

"You're staring." She snaps me out of my thoughts. I huff as if that were a ridiculous accusation and want to walk away but she speaks up again.

"I asked what you did in there." Her voice is more demanding now.

"Last time I checked I don't owe you an explanation. Besides, what are you doing down here?" I cross my arms and stand tall.

"My room is back there. Anyways, I am pretty sure you do owe me one after the shit you pulled on Saturday," she says coldly. I huff again and walk away. She doesn't say anything else but I hear a door opening behind me, so I whirl around. Malia's about to enter the janitor's closet but I reach her with two long strides.

"Stay out of there!" I grab her arm roughly, but she doesn't show any signs of being in pain. Instead, she raises an eyebrow at me and stands her ground.

"I can do whatever I want. Now get your hands off me." Her voice is low and steady and packed with distaste.

"Fine, but just for the books, it is none of your business what I do and where I do it." She doesn't react to my words, shrugging my hand off and walking into the tight room. She looks around and seems disappointed when she finds nothing suspicious. She looks like she is about to leave when her eyes land on the dusty container underneath the vent.

There are footprints on it, and I can literally see the pieces of the puzzle coming together in her mind. She turns back at me with wide eyes.

"Where does it lead?" Her voice is curious and excited. She even seems to temporarily forget how much she hates me and talks to me like any other kid.

"Nowhere," I tell her. I don't want to share the one place I have to myself, that's for sure. Especially not with her. Who knows how many other people she would tell about this if she found out. But of course, Malia doesn't give up that easily.

"Tell me or I will find out myself."

"Always so nosy." I roll my eyes and so does she. Then she climbs on the container and takes out the shutter of the vent.

"Don't do that," I say firmly and hope she can't hear my desperation. There's panic simmering at the base of my spine and I am trying hard to play it off. But then she ignores me and prepares for the climb and I lose my last shred of dignity.

"Please!" I exclaim. The word tumbles out of my mouth before I can stop it. Her head instantly snaps towards me. She looks baffled and studies me closely. I look at the ground but am painfully aware of her eyes on me. I hear her closing the vent again and she leaves without another word.

My eyes fly to the closed door as soon as I am alone. What the hell just happened? I know I must have sounded pathetic when I begged her not to climb up that vent so why would she follow my wishes instead of using them against me?

I know for a fact that I would've done the opposite in her position. Without hesitation. I stand in the empty room for a few more minutes while my mind races before walking back to my room.

She'll probably come back. She's definitely laughing about me and telling everyone what just happened. I despise Malia and now I can't even get her out of my head. I pace my room for a little while until I can't take it anymore.

I walk to the cafeteria where Malia is sitting at a table with her friends and laughing. About you, a voice in the back of my head says and I ball my hands into fists. I stalk up to their table but none of them pays attention to me.

"What's so funny?" I snap and their heads finally turn toward me in the blink of an eye.

"What do you want, Keahi?" Malia is annoyed which only seems to make me angrier.

"What were you laughing about?" I'm not letting her turn me into a joke.

"That is none of your business," Malia answers. She doesn't seem to be scared of me, even after what happened in training, so I turn toward one of her friends. He's a lanky-looking guy who's staring up at me with wide eyes. It's good to know at least someone has still an ounce of respect for me.

"Tell me," I demand. He shoots a nervous look in Malia's direction and I feel a hand on my arm. She is standing behind me and starts pulling me across the cafeteria until we are in the deserted corridor.

"Stay the hell away from my friends," she tells me sharply.

"Then don't talk about me." That earns me a furrow of her brows.

"I don't know what you are talking about. You might think everything is about you, and sorry to burst your bubble, Princess, but it is not." She rolls her eyes and walks back to where she came from. I look after her until she is swallowed by the crowd and return to my room once again.

So, she hasn't told her friends about my moment of weakness. They weren't laughing about me. I am not delusional though; I know she's just waiting for the right moment to use this against me. I just need to find some leverage on her...

————————
Did I hear anyone say trust issues?👀

Comment ur thoughts and prepare urselves for the last chapter of thirteen-year-old them:)) I'm excited for the next eraaa😫