Chapter 23

Malia

I just brought back my first flag and am now heading back into the depth of the forest. Kaz told me I was close second after Keahi and that seems to unlock some inhuman strength within me.

I find my second flashcard at a stream. Lucky me. My first task was demanding as hell and I doubt I could deal with another one of those right now, so I am glad to have found a quick one. I manipulate the water in the stream so that I can reach for the flag that was hidden at the bottom of it.

I sprint back to Kaz with an energy I have no right to have and find out I am now in the lead. With an hour to spare, I slow down a little and catch my breath. I wander around for about twenty-five minutes until I see a bright orange card tucked underneath the root of a tree. I start running towards it when I hear branches cracking behind me. Someone else is coming. I don't turn to see who my competition is but keep sprinting only for Keahi to reach the card a little before me. He reads it quickly and keeps sprinting, leaving the card on the ground for me to read. Of course, it's him.

It's right ahead, but don't lose your balance.

I run after Keahi and see him standing in front of a fallen tree trunk. It is leading over a steep valley that must be at least thirty feet deep. I look past Keahi where two other trunks lay just like the first one.

I run to the one next to him and we look at each other for a moment. There is pure determination in his eyes, and I am sure he sees the same in mine.

I am the first to step on the mossy trunk. It's about a total of 15 inches wide but the part I can walk on can't be more than five. I take slow and measured steps and see Keahi doing the same to my left in my peripheral vision. The flag is a short sprint ahead of the end of our trunks, so I need to get a head start here.

I feel more jittery the closer I get to the end of the trunk. I'm only steps ahead of my opponent and he is the faster runner. Lucky me, this surely will end in a fight. I am almost on the firm ground again when I see Keahi slipping on his trunk.

"Keahi!" I exclaim, my head snapping around and my arms flying out as I try to keep my own balance. My rival is holding onto a branch of his trunk while my path to victory is clear. I could get the flag and go back to Kaz or at least get the flag before helping Keahi.

I don't.

Keahi looks like he is holding on with his last bit of strength, so I finish the distance of my trunk and walk back on his all the while thinking that I will absolutely regret this.

"What are you doing?" the guy hanging on for dear life has the audacity to ask through gritted teeth.

"Stepping on your fingers," I snap sarcastically. "What does it look like, I'm saving your ass."

"Why?"

"Been wanting to hear you beg for a while now..." I tease him though he is the one that ends up smirking.

"In your dreams... the good ones, I assume." I roll my eyes before clamping my legs around the trunk and reaching for his arm. He looks at me with a mix of curiosity and wariness but finally decides to trust me, probably realizing that he can't get up any other way.

He firmly wraps his hand around my wrist and I pull him up with some effort until he can finish the rest of the distance himself. Then I finally get back on track and balance the rest of the way, reaching the ground with Keahi right on my tail.

If I expected him to thank me and let me get the flag, I was very much mistaken. I am about to sprint to the flag when I'm tackled from behind. I turn onto my back, but Keahi is already pinning me to the ground. He settles down on my thighs and pushes my arms into the dirt above my head.

"You shouldn't have helped me, Princess. Or is this what you wanted all along?" He smiles smugly as I continue wriggling beneath him.

"Get off of me!"

"With pleasure." He jumps back to his feet and starts sprinting to the flag but I won't let him win that easily. I trap one of his ankles with a water lasso and pull him back to the ledge while getting up and running towards the flag myself. I hear him curse after me but don't turn around. I grab the flag before heading back to the trunks. Aka the only way back to Kaz. Keahi is already expecting me there, his stance telling me he's ready for a fight.

"Give me the flag". It feels like Keahi is inside my brain and I barely stop myself from handing my win over.

"No," I insist stubbornly. I don't understand what is going on for a second but my veins start heating up and it dims on me.

"Stop!" I cry out when the feeling intensifies. That's how he thanks me for saving him? By trying to manipulate me? Keahi's expression is unreadable though he continues what he's doing. I won't give it to him.

————————
Stubborn, stubborn girl

I wish y'all a magnificent time<3