Chapter 14 - Heavy Hearts

No conversation followed on the next morning or the following mornings when both the boys found themselves in the comfort of each other's arms. It was as if only a pleasant dream or a secret agenda that was supposed to be discussed behind closed doors.

Surprisingly, their mornings felt better than before even when Lan Wangji had an added responsibility of waking Wei Wuxian up from his deep slumber, or when the latter had to get up an hour early to be able to return to his quarters before Jiang Cheng woke up.

Their small study session every night was gradually becoming more comfortable. Wei Wuxian would shift his side to sit beside Lan Wangji a few minutes after he had started to take down notes, or crack a few jokes everytime he found something funny. The latter, though never accepted how much he looked forward to these new additions in his repertoire, enjoyed the company of the mischievous boy.

However, that was until a wedding proposal came for Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian nither did sneak out that night, nor did he bother visiting the crowded library after his classes the day after. Rather, he sat near a clear stream that merged with the cold spring on it's way down. It was quiet and peaceful and it reminded him of Lan Wangji.

The old master called for his younger nephew after their classes and Wei Wuxian made his way towards the small clearing which he had discovered a few days earlier. It, however, was not empty like the other times. A maiden dressed in golden and white robes was walking along the banks of the stream, enjoying the beauty of the place while Wei Wuxian, with an impish grin, walked on with the intention to strike up a conversation-

"Aiyaa! Why did no one tell me that the Gusu Lan accepted female disciples! Such a waste of my precious time to try to find beautiful maidens down the mountains."

The girl got startled by the sudden voice and as she turned around, a light blush tinted her ears. Wei Wuxian was handsome(or, maybe beautiful), not to mention that he had deliberately flirted with her on their first meeting!

- "Young master, I am not a disciple of the Gusu Lan clan. " She replied after bowing to him.

- "Then, are you here to run some kind of business? Or are you a relative of Lan Zhan?"

- "Umm...I have been ordered to keep it a secret."

-"And why are you roaming here? Did you follow me? Huh? Or do you have a secret crush on me? Hahaha ... " Wei Wuxian laughed as he saw the girl trying to hide her growing blush. "Ehh! Don't be embarrassed. There are plenty of good looking men in Gusu. Tell me if you like any....Oh! And also, I have a friend. He is the prettiest man you will ever see, ... but he is too bad at flirting. He is in a meeting now, or I could have introduced you to Lan Zhan."

- " The young master here seems to be a good friend of the second young master of Lan. Umm...can you tell me more about Lan-er-Gongzi?"

Wei Wuxian furrowed his brows in suspicion,"Young lady, do you have a secret liking for Lan Zhan?"

- "No...no...it's not for me. It's for my mistress." She replied immediately.

-" Your mistress? Why does she want to know about Lan Zhan?"

She fiddled with her sleeves before giving in,"The Jin Clan proposed a marriage for the second young master.... please do not let anyone know that I revealed it to you."