Chapter 8 - The Dinner

The atmosphere in the discussion room of the Koi tower was heavy and serious with the sect leaders and honorable elders. Having the most number of young disciples, renowned scholars and excellent doctors, along with the powerful sect leader, Jin Clan was influential. So, all important meetings were always held in their grand conference room.

The proposal started with Nie Mingjue proposing the name of his eldest disciple,  followed by the others, and ended with the name of Jin Gungyao. It came as a shock to everyone. The youngest son of Jin Guangshan was not much popular among the others of his age. He did not have any friends and was rarely seen talking with others.  Neither did he excel in his studies or skills unlike his elder brother. A quick wave of murmurings and confusion passed around the room before the sect leader explained his reasons - "Zixuan is already married and has a family to manage. But that is not the a actual reason to keep him out of the nominations. I had already decided to propose his name, but he suddenly fell ill. The symptoms are not of any familiar disease and he is not in his best health, becoming weaker with each passing day. " Heaveing a sigh that showed his worries for his elder son, Jin Guangshan dismissed the meeting.
Some expressed their concerns, while the others reassured him and offered him support before walking out.

.

Wei Wuxian, clothed in his favourite deep blue dress made his way towards the gate.

Lan Wangji, being a man of discipline was already waiting for him as it was few minutes past the time Wei Wuxian had mentioned. When his eyes caught the  glimpse of the figure walking towards him, he was greeted with a bright smile. He could see how much different the boy looked in colorful clothes and a red ribbon that held his hair instead of a headpiece, with a few strands fluttering in the cool air.

They journey downhill was otherwise insignificant. However, as soon as they reached the market, Wei Wuxian, dragging the jade with him, sprinted towards some food stalls that were radiating delicious aroma of sweet and savory foods and ordered for almost everything he thought would would taste good.

It was almost dawn when they finished taking a stroll around the market. Lan Wangji declined everytime Wei Wuxian offered him the foods he had bought earlier and the latter also didn't request much since they seemed to be too spicy for Lan Wangji to enjoy.  Instead, he picked some mung bean confections and handed it to Lan Wangji, asking him which one tasted best.

The sun dimmed its rays allowing the lanterns to bright up the street as more people started to gather around. Jiang Cheng along with the Nie disciple joined the other two near a landmark known to almost everyone and Lan Wangji guided their way to a inn which was known for its fine service, delicious foods and best wine.

Unlike the other inns that sometimes smelled of sweat and toil, the air here carried a subtle fragrance of lavender and jasmine. It had private dining rooms of varying capacity, decorated with flowy curtains and some paintings. The four men booked their room. No sooner had they seated themselves comfortably, than the tables started getting filled with foods that everyone had ordered.

When the dishes arrived, the table on Wei Wuxian's side was burning with red. Beside the red was a calm combination of white and green with plain soups, vegetables and rice. The Lans can't tolerate spice at all. So, the host had ordered the plain foods for his 'special guest' when he saw him sitting quietly. Lan Wangji, however eyed Wei Wuxian when he saw the jars of liquor getting piled up in the room.

- "It is not cloud recess, Lan Zhan. So, we are not breaking any rules.", Wei Wuxian read his thoughts.

- " Wangji xiong, please dont complain to the old master or Zewu Jun. It's just one day", Nie Huaisang was worried.