Chapter 1- The encounter

The short description of my story might not have been much appealing. I actually couldn't summarise the plot properly, or find the exact words to describe my storyline in a nutshell. But I do hope that you'll find the the story more interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Aaaaaaa...aaaaa....aaaa"

A boy in deep blue robes was running through the corridors towards the banquet hall, shouting at the top of his voice.

" Take that damn dog away from me. Jiang Cheng! Save me...Aaaaaa..."

Near the entrance of the hall, the head disciple of the Jin Clan, Jin Zixuan along with his brother Jin GuangYao was welcoming the twin jades of Gusu, when a young boy, panicked, frightened and panting bumped against one of the jades, immediately hiding behind him and pleading for help.

"Dog...dog...make that dog go away. Please. Aaaaa..."

To his surprise, the snow white puppy, that was running until now, sat down obediently in front of the person in white. There were no warnings, no hand movements, nothing at all. It ceased it motion on it's own upon seeing a icy cold face that hid the person he wanted to play with.

The chaos and screaming grabbed the attention of all the people present and they stared in confusion at the scene.

A young boy in purple robes approached the hall, shooed the dog away and bowed, "Second Young Master Lan, sorry for what happened just now. My brother is afraid of dogs." He turned towards the first jade and bowed again, and when the brothers returned his bows, he scolded, "Wei Wuxian, what are hiding for now? Come out quickly."

The boy in deep blue walked aside and stood facing him.

" Jiang Cheng, what were you doing until now? I called you so many times." Wei Wuxuan complained.

-" Who gets scared of a puppy? You fool, it wanted to play with you and you kept running. "

-" How do you know that it wanted to play and not bite?"

-" Wei Wuxian, it is just a puppy! And it gets ample food here. What will it bite you for?"

- " Because dogs do nothing but bite." The mere thought if it gave him goosebumps.

Sensing that the argument between the brothers were not going to stop anytime soon, the eldest disciple of the Lan Clan tried to ease the situation, " Wei gonzi, I think the dog really frightened you. You should take a rest and have some food to ease yourself. It's safe now."

Finally, the contention stopped, and the panting boy tamed his shivering body to bow down to them, thanking the second young master for help.

.

Ranked disciples from renowned clans gathered in the the banquet hall, each wearing their specific clan robes, creating an aura of colours.

Jin clan arranged for its renowned competition that takes place every year around this time. Ranked disciples from esteemed clans, who are between the age of sixteen and twenty flock here to take part and prove their worth, having a gala time with the scrumptious meal arrangements.

The dining was about to start. The sect leader made a toast addressing everyone, heartily welcoming them.

Lan Xichen and his younger brother made their toast with tea, owing to their negligible alcohol tolerance. Wei Wuxian on the other hand, emptied a bottle of wine in no time.

Xichen felt his brother glancing at the boy in blue before digging into the food. Though his icy face depicted nothing, he sensed something was wrong.

Lan Xichen, "Wangji, is something troubling you?"

Lan Wangji, "No"

Lan Xichen,"Do you know the young master who bumped into you?"

Lan Wangji," "

Lan Xichen," He is the eldest disciple of the Yumengjiang clan. I heard his sword techniques are really good."

Lan Wangji, "Brother, speech is forbidden while eating. Clan rule."

Xichen sighed and continued to eat his meal.

The room echoed with laughter and chattering, stories and rumours made their way to the listener's ears as some visitors gave an account of the many rules of the Gusulan sect, the carefree life of the Yumenjiang people, the haunted happenings around Nie clan, while the others discussed about the magnanimity of the arrangements.

The dining continued for around two hours, after which everyone retired to their rooms excitedly waiting for the next day.

---------------

Morning at the Jin clan started with people walking towards the fields, some taking their seats as spectators and the rest warming themselves up for the upcoming events.

It was the first time for most of the disciples who took part this year. There were mixed emotions of nervousness and excitement.

It was also the first time for Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji. They had reached their required age a couple of years back, but the Jin Clan did not host any competition for three consecutive years.

News tells that for the first two years, construction works were going on.The area of the sect was increased with more guest rooms, numerous student quarters and a bigger dining hall.

What people didn't know was the existence of two secret rooms, in a fashion that only the clan leader can have access to it.

As for the third year, it was the wedding ceremony of Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli, a grand occasion for everyone to remember for ages.

After all the occassions finally finished, it was announced that the competitions will be resumed.

.

It was almost time for the commencement as someone announced the rules and asked everyone to get to their positions.

First was the archery competition followed by hunting in the forest.

Wei Wuxian surpassed everyone in archery. In the hunting however, he came third, Jin Zixuan was second and Lan Wangji catching the most number of preys was first.

It was not because he was incapable, but because he spent a considerable amount of time appreciating the beautiful flowers, picking them up to gift the pretty maidens.

The second day was reserved for the sword fight. Rounds of sword fighting continued with clashes and clangs, the more skilled ones winning against the less skilled ones until there were two final opponents left- Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian.

Loud cheerings were heard form the galleries. Two great disciples known for their exquisite swordsmanship were finally going to face each other. Indistinct murmurings about the possible winner was floating in the tensed air.

Bichen and Suibian was unsheathed. They bowed towards each others and held the swords high, ready to attack and prove its dignity.

Lan Wangji's movements were smooth and controlled while Wei Wuxian was unrestrained and swift. It seemed as if ice had touched the fire, but neither of them was trying to wither out the other, rather providing the strength to grow stronger.

As the final round continued, the spectators became dead silent. They held their breaths, trying not to miss a single movement of such refined techniques. It was a wonder to watch.

When the blades clashed for the umpteenth time with great force from both sides, the two young cultivators flew back a short distance, stumbling a bit before landing firmly on the tough ground.

The match was a tie.