Chapter 9 - Gifts and Emotions

- "Lan Zhan, did you like the wine? It tastes the best. You should drink with me more often when we are not in the cloud recess. Or maybe we could sneak out sometime at the night. Hahaha."

The other person in the room sat frozen in his place, head drooping lower by each second until it hit the table with a bang. Wei Wuxian was busy filling up a second cup when he got perplexed by the sudden movement in front of him. He quickly moved to the opposite side giving the other man light pushes. After a good few minutes when there was still no response, he concluded that the Lan saying was not a simple myth to refrain the students; alcohol did have a strong effect on their disciples.

Just when he was about to support the jade to the bed, Lan Wangji lifted his head and opened his eyes staring at the other pair with an unreadable expression.

- "You don't look drunk. Are you playing with me so that you don't have to drink more?" Wei Wuxian suspected. But his suspicion immediately vanished when Lan Wangji got up, stumbling a little before finally reaching the bed.

A sober Lan wangji can never stumble. He was the example of the most perfect person alive.

- "Its nine. Go to sleep."

- "Lan Zhan wait. Take off your outer robe. Don't sleep in so many layers. The alcohol will cause uneasiness."

Lan Wangji sat quietly, as if deciding whether to listen to the boy and remove his upper layers or to keep them on. Deciding against listening to Wei Wuxian, he lay on the bed in a perfect posture.

Wei Wuxian sighed. It was his first time seeing a drunk Lan, and Lan Wangji, in his opinion was acting stubborn.

He inched closer to the bed and sat the edge. Slowly pulling the almost sleeping man up and letting him rest against the headrest, he tried to untie the sash belt and take off the uncomfortable amount of clothes that was visibly making him uneasy. His jade white body showed no sign of alcohol in his system, he was perfect-even in his drunk state, but Wei Wuxian knew very well the feelings of getting drunk. To prevent the jade from sweating excessively or feeling stuffy during his sleep, he decided to give a push to his courage and peel off the layers off the drunk man. He could explain the next morning that he had no bad intentions, he just wanted to help the boy who had his first alcohol experience. But as soon as he tugged the fine fabric, Lan Wangji caught his hands out of reflex.

Even though he was drunk and half asleep, his senses and reflex seemed to work properly.

The birthday boy immediately started to reason himself, afraid that his actions would be guessed wrong, but Lan Wangji cut him off with some awkward sentences and held his left sleeve gently with his right hand, as if checking for damage.

-"It will break."

- "Pfft...Lan Zhan, you are so drunk. Clothes don't break. Come here, I will take it off gently. It won't tear, I mean it won't break."

Wei Wuxian assured him of his gentleness, but as soon as he took off the robe, he was about to toss it casually to the other side of bed, because that was exactly what he did everytime he was drunk. Folding it neatly seemed too much of extra work and needed focus. Lan Wangji grabbed the cloth out of his hand and with a light frown, folded it as properly as he could. That was when something crossed Wei Wuxian's mind.

- "Lan Zhan, are you hiding something in your robes? Huh? Did you buy something for someone you like?"Wei Wuxian smirked,"You didn't even tell me. You know I could have given you some of my special advice about what kind of gifts girls like. You do not need to show me, but tell me who that special person is. I haven't seen any girl in cloud recess. Is she someone from outside? I bet she will be overwhelmed when the second young master Lan gives her a gift. Hahaha."