Chapter 13: Teams

Start from the beginning

I lean closer to Phoenix as we turn to leave, "We should play a round of BS. Remember last time." Phoenix smirks and goes to say something, but she is interrupted by our Captain's voice. "Skylar!" Both Phoenix and I turn around to see Maverick walking over to us. "Skylar, can I talk to you?" I nod, "See you in 10." I tell Phoenix, before she turns to leave the room. Maverick doesn't say anything, just signals for me to follow them. What is with the men in my life, not saying anything after asking to talk?

Following Maverick up to the flight deck and over to the railing. "Bri and I would spend hours out here, just talking." I say breaking the silence. "I used to do the same thing with Goose and Ice." I smile looking out at the blue ocean, no land in sight. "Here." I look over at Maverick and see a pair of dog tags hanging from his hands. He must have seen my confused look because he further explained, "They're your dad's," he says, taking my hand away from the railing and dropping them in. I run my finger over the bumps of the engraved metal dog tag.

Adm. Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky

Tears start to form in the corner of my eyes, "They told us that these were in his casket. How did you get them?"
"He gave them to me, asking that I would give them to you. These aren't the real thing because those are in his casket. But he pulled them off his neck the night he gave them to me." I subconsciously continue rubbing up and down the dog tag. "Put them with hers." I snap out of my gaze and turn back to Maverick. "How?"
"Your dad told me." I roll my eyes, even on death he could keep a secret.

I reach up for the zipper for that pocket that is over my heart and pull out her dog tags. One dog tag rests on a chain the size of my fist.

Lt. BriAnna 'Cheese' Anderson

Breaking apart the keychain, I slip Dad's tags with hers. Fanning them out for I could read them both. "I know what you're going to say, Mav."
"Okay, what's that?" He asks. "You think I should let them go. Throw them into the ocean. But I can't," my eyes leave the two tags in my hands, "These pieces of metal are the only thing I have left of these two." Maverick looks at me, his face is serious. "Does she distract you?" I shake my head. "Does having her with you keep your mind at peace after what happened?" I nod. "Then keep her, keep them both." I smile, leaning into Mav's shoulder.

We stand in silence, listening to the carrier break through wave after wave. "I have to go. I have a meeting with the Admirals." He says, retracting his arm back to his side. "Good luck." He mumbles a thanks before leaving me alone. A shiver runs through my body, I wrap my flight suit tighter around me, conserving body heat. "You with me Bri Cheese?" I say give the dog tags one last squeeze before stuffing them into my flight suit pocket. I can do this.

Leaving the windy flight deck behind as I open the door to the much warmer carrier. I make my way to our little break room to play some cards and drink some warm coffee.

...

After going up a few flights of stairs, making left after right turns and, going downstairs, we make it to the meeting room in the middle of the carrier, kind-of winded, I may add. We're greeted by both Cyclone and Warlock, along with our Captain. "It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." He says, looking around at each of us. His eyes linger on Rooster and I longer than everyone else.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Cyclone says. "Payback and Fanboy." He looks around the room. "Phoenix and Bob." I lean forward a bit and give them a quiet congratulation. "And your wing man." Cyclone says as I return to my upright, standing state. I watch as Maverick eyes move between Hangman, Rooster and I. "Rooster." I let out a sigh, not sure if it is a grateful sigh or if it was one of disappointment. "The rest of you will stand by the carrier for any reserve role that’s required."