He glanced around to see Mag talking quietly with an interesting looking Egyptian girl and a small friendly looking blonde with ringlet curls.

"Severus Snape is right to eat a lot of these," Kreacher said.

"They are quite good!"

"They're stuffed with bacon and cream cheese," Severus said. "I've never heard of putting bacon in an olive, but hell...Bacon is the candy of meat so it goes perfectly with anything."

He glanced at the owl as he spoke, as if the two were sharing a joke, and Regulus found himself idly wondering if the bird could be...special in some way as was Mortis. Snape wasn't the warm fuzzy sort to randomly take up with a pet, after all.

"Want to try one," he asked the Black Phoenix.

Mortis bobbed his head in a nod, so Regulus reached for an olive, feeding it to the bird who nearly swallowed it whole.

"It appears my bird likes them as well," Regulus commented with a chuckle.

"Try these mini sandwiches, Kreacher," Severus encouraged.

"They are turkey cranberry, and quite good."

Indeed Severus was definitely more friendly when wine was added, Regulus observed.

"Does your owl like those as well," he asked and when Severus nodded, Regulus took one for Mortis. Kreacher was reaching for his second when Gellert Grindelwald approached with Blaise Zabini at his side. The two were practically glowing and Regulus smiled to see them. It was obvious that they'd missed one another a great deal while Zabini was away for his final year at Hogwarts as the sentiment was practically coming off both of them in waves. Gellert's mind was still shielded quite well otherwise, though.

"Hi," Regulus greeted with a smile.

He poured Kreacher a glass of wine and pushed it gently into his hand.

"You'll need to drink something while you eat, and it's a party," he said before the elf could object.

"Good idea," Gellert said with a grin, and he and Zabini took glasses of wine for themselves.

"I'm glad both of you are here," Gellert continued sincerely, turning to face Regulus and Kreacher with his glass of wine held casually in one hand.

"In case Potter fails, I am preparing to deal with this Lord Voldemort, and to do so, the more understanding I have of him, the faster he dies which is what we all want. As such I would like it if the two of you allowed me to pick your brains about him. I understand the topic is surely sensitive, but my need obviously goes deeper than random curiosity."

Regulus nodded hastily, and Kreacher was quick to follow with a nod of his own.

"Of course," Regulus said, and Kreacher drained off half of his wine for fortification, Regulus guessed.

"What would you like to know," Regulus asked.

"Well...Perhaps tell me your story again, from beginning to end with as much detail as possible especially when it comes to any personal interactions with Voldemort," Gellert said slowly.

As Kreacher and Regulus acquiesced, Gellert listened attentively, sipping idly at his wine as they spoke.

Regulus considered it significant progress that neither he nor Kreacher grew overly emotional while speaking of the horrors. Not to say there was no emotion, as how could there not be, but it was far easier to distance themselves from that time. Perhaps it was the party atmosphere. Perhaps it was that they were surrounded by friends who genuinely believed and supported them, or perhaps it was just getting easier.

"What I notice the most about him is his disregard for Kreacher," Gellert said when the two had stopped speaking.

"It makes me sick. He is tossing away that which he needs, and those who love him. He can and will never succeed with this sort of mentality. In the end he must fail. How many will die before he does is the question, though."

Regulus nodded grimly, one hand resting protectively on Kreacher's shoulder.

"Voldemort, as a man, as a genius, is not at all impressive to me," Gellert continued, glancing over at Zabini to include him in the conversation.

The dark haired young man was rather quiet, Regulus noted.

"His desires and goals are silly and small. What impresses me in the worst of ways, is his disregard for what is important," Gellert said.

"It's obviously the insanity," Blaise drawled, and Gellert nodded.

"Yes but the particular way his insanity manifests itself is interesting. His lack of regard for others, his lack of regard for his own soul, he is feeding everything to something...well outside of himself."

"That sounds disturbing," Zabini murmured with a frown and Gellert grinned.

"Precisely."

Returning his intense blue gaze to Regulus and Kreacher he added, "And of course the fact neither of you can remember what happened after Orion's death is unsettling."

Regulus nodded.

"Memory gaps always are."

"Well said," Gellert chuckled.

He thanked Regulus and Kreacher warmly for their help, and the conversation turned to lighter topics. The evening was a pleasure, and the count down to the year's end seemed to come far too quickly.

All the couples seemed to find one another in the crowd, embracing for a new year's kiss. Regulus and Kreacher found themselves beside Millicent and Wolfgang as the lights dimmed and cries of "HAPPY NEW YEAR," rang out.

As couples became lost in one another, Regulus decided that he didn't care who saw them or what they thought. He and Kreacher were a couple too and they'd earned the right to enjoy this kiss as much as anyone else. Bending he embraced Kreacher as the elf's mouth met his.