Wrong Target

STORY STATUS: COMPLETE

Takes place after sth2 movie / robotnik is alive bc why not and now fighting robotnik is a half-daily-not-really thing like in the video games except less, yk???

HEY BESTIES, THE DRONE HOME FANFIC IS ACTUALLY TURNING PRETTY LONG SO WHILE THAT'S BEING WORKED ON, ENJOY THIS MINI STORY <3

REMINDER: THIS IS JUST AUTHOR DUMP. JUST FOR FUN + JUST FOR ME TO GET STORIES THAT HAVE BEEN RUNNING IN MY MIND SINCE F9REVER IN AN ACTUAL FANFIC ANYWAY ENJOY+ BEWARE OF GRAMMAR MISTAKES AND BAD STORY WRITING

-

-

-

"KNUCKLES! YOU GO LEFT! TAILS! YOU GO RIGHT!"

"On it!" Tails and Knuckles both said as they went their seperate ways. Leaving Sonic in the center.

In short, Robotnik was attacking the trio. He wasn't present himself, but decided to send his robots to go attack them.

Or atleast, thats what the trio thought.

10 minutes ago

"Sonic, what will you be showing us today?" Knuckles asked as they walked through a forest. It's been a few weeks or so since Tails and Knuckles arrived to Earth, and had been pretty new to the concept.

"We're just wandering the forest Knux, I promised Tom we'd go get him some wood since we're putting marshmallows over the campire later outside our house," Sonic said as a matter-of-factly.

Tails was walking behind the two of them and chimed in. "Marshmallows over the campfire? That sounds a bit weird, is that another Earth custom?" Tails asked Sonic, him and Knuckles we're still trying to warm up to the new planet called Earth.

"Trust me bud, it tastes delicious, you'll love it," Sonic said as he continued walking. They walked for a bit until they heard a small ruffle.

Tails was still behind them and decided to explore the sound. And that was it, he had found one of Robotnik's drones scanning trees in the forest.

"Guys!" Tails yelled from far behind. The two turned to look at Tails. And so did the drone. Then started firing. Tails flew to them as quickly as possible and explained the drone he saw.

Back to the present

Tails was headed right, scanning the drones to check the how many we're around. And there we're lots. However this didn't worry him, from up high he could see Knuckles punching several drones down, Sonic was doing the same and spin-dashed into them.

Then his communicator chimed. "Hey Tails how's it going up there?" Sonic asked while fighting drones on the ground. "Great! There are about 67 drones down there, you guys have destroyed 24," Tails said with certainty. "Then, how many more of these robots will we be required to destroy?" Knuckles spoke up. Tails forgot that he was the smart one for a second. But it was just simple subtraction so he felt like they would know-

"43 Knux, we need to destroy 43 more drones," Sonic said over the communicator. Tails chuckled a bit at the sudden reply as if Sonic had been doing the math while it was silent.

Tails watched from the air. He continued scanning just in case. And suddenly his Miles Electric chimed. He checked it to see a very new and surprising update. There were 86 drones in the air, and we're making their way to him. "Huh?! What?!" Tails said out loud, surely his Miles Electric was malfunctioning. 86 drones?!

Then Sonic spoke up. "Tails? Whats up? You good bud?" "U-uh yeah I'm fine," Tails said with uncertainty. Sonic and Knuckles probably got more concerned with his answer.

Tails checked his surroundings but no drones were found. It must've been an error or something. That was until a bunch of different shaped drones came out of nowhere and started scanning things in the air.

The drones looked much less like regular robotnik drones. They looked as if they were made just to fly to high places. Like Tails did. They were far but they were coming closer. Tails couldn't help but fly a bit back to keep distance.

"Fox- I mean- Tails, how many more drones do we need to destroy?" Knuckles said. Tails- was kind of scared. There were 86 drones scattered across the sky while Tails hid behind a cloud. It wasn't the best hiding spot since clouds are just evaporated water, but it'll have to do.

Tails couldn't bring himself to answer. His Miles Electric had just kept telling him there were drones around the sky. All of them on the ground were pretty much destroyed. So Tails brought himself to whisper really quietly in his communicator, "You defeated all the drones on the ground."

Yeah, Tails messed up with that last phrase. "On the ground." "Wait, you're telling me.. There's more?! What do you mean on the ground?? Tails are you okay? Tails do you read me??" Sonic was yelling and Tails could feel all the drones turning. Clearly Tails was about to get caught. So, he just flew for it. A bunch of drones scanned him and Tails didn't really know how to react.

That was until they all said: "Target found: Miles "Tails" Prower."

"Target found?— But-" And then it hit him like a train. Tails had realized he was the target. Not Sonic, not Knuckles, him.

But why? Why would he be the target and not Sonic or Knuckles? There was no explanation towards this. Tails couldn't bring himself to find a reason in why he was the target.

Sonic and Knuckles overheard the "Target found" on their communicators. And they were visibly panicking. Why was Tails the target? What was with Robotnik's sudden change of plans? Suddenly he just forgets about his Sonic obsession and goes for Tails?

It was odd. Very odd. But nonetheless, there was obviously some sort of reason behind it. And they didn't want to wait to find out what it was. So they ran towards Tails direction. They could figure out how to get in the air later.

Meanwhile Tails was surrounded by a ton of robots. Like a ton.

He tried to grab his gadgets but the drones dodged. They were more aware and had faster reflexes than the ones on the ground. So, Tails only choice was to fly away. But just as he managed to whirl away-

Something caught on his Tails.

And Tails let out a yelp. Catching Sonic and Knuckles attention, they could see a drone had threw a net on his Tails, making him unable to fly.

And so, Tails started plummeting to the ground, ready to face whatever was coming. Whether it was more drones ready to take him away, Sonic, Knuckles, or even death itself, Tails shut his eyes tightly awaiting what was coming.

Nothing happened.

He slowly fluttered his eyes open. Noticing himself in Knuckles arms, he let a sigh of relief. "You're okay now Tails, why're they targeting you?" Sonic said from a distance. Tails, still in Knuckles arm, shrugged his shoulders. "I dont know." He responded. Tails blinked a couple times before realizing the drones in the sky were gone. Strange.

Noticing his brother's gaze fixated on the sky, Knuckles spoke up. "Once we caught you, the drones vanished. We do not know as to why they vanished, but we will ensure this never happens again," Knuckles said in a stern, promising voice.

Tails could only smile warmly to that in response. Whatever Robotnik had planned failed. And even if he were to put that plan in motion in action again. He would have his brothers there. To be with him. To protect him.

It would all be okay.