Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"You're what?" My mom asked me with an arched eyebrow.

"I'm going to Compton High's senior prom instead of going to Westwood Academy's." I told her for the second time after revealing to her what Chase had did to me.

She laughed loudly, as if I had told the worlds funniest joke.

"What's so funny?" I asked with an attitude.

"You are Ashley. You don't have a choice in this matter. You're not going to prom in Compton and that's final!" She yelled.

"Well I'm not going to Westwood Academy's prom either. I refuse to help you save face with your white friends! After I told you what Chase said about our family, you still expect me to go?!" I asked her in disbelief.

"Get over it Ashley. It's not like he was lying about your father." She said nonchalantly. That made my blood boil.

"All my life I've watched you sit back and down talk my dad and I'm sick of it. You have the nerve to talk about him when you're no better than he is. You're both good for nothing except money." I spat nastily before grabbing my keys and leaving.

I had no destination in mind. I just turned up my music and drove. When tears started to cloud my vision I decided to pull over.

I sat in my car and cried harder than I've ever had. I hate my life.

I felt my phone vibrate in the pocket of my hoodie. I took it out and saw that it was my dad calling. I sent him to voicemail. Before I could put my phone down it started to vibrate again. This time it was CJ.

"Hello." I answered, trying to muffle my tears.

"What's wrong N'shae?" He asked.

"Nothing, baby. I'm fine." I said, still trying to hide my crying.

"Quit lying, N'shae. Where are you?" He asked.

"I really don't know." I finally broke down.

"Turn on the GPS on your phone. It'll say where you are." He instructed me.

I did as he told.

"Im around the corner from the Fox Hills Mall." I told him.

"Sit tight and lock your doors. I'll be there as fast as I can." He said.

"Ok baby." I said.

CJ's car pulled up behind me thirty minutes later. During that time I had sent about thirty phone calls from both of my parents to voicemail. I find it funny how all of a sudden they wanna worry about me.

CJ knocked on my window and motioned for me to get out of the car. I got out and he immediately pulled me in for a hug. I buried face in his chest and let it all out. He stood there silently and rubbed my back, allowing me to have my moment.

When I calmed down I looked up at him. He wiped the tears from my face and caressed my cheek.

"You hungry?" He asked me. I nodded my head in response.

"Lock your car up. We'll come back to get it after we eat." He told me.

I did as he told me and followed him to his car. I silently looked out the window as he drove to the nearest Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles. I felt him glancing at me from time to time. He reached over and grabbed my hand.

Luckily the restaurant was empty when we arrived. Then again, it was the middle of the night.

"You ready to tell me what's wrong?" He asked me once we were settled and the waiter took our orders.

I paused for a second and then spoke.

"After I left you today, I found out that Chase lied to his parents about our relationship and called me whore. Then he disrespected my family as well." I saw a vein in CJ's neck bulge at the mention of Chase.

"How long has he been hiding this?" He asked.

"His mom said he told them months ago." I revealed.

I could see the anger rising in CJ.

"Calm down babe. That's not the part that has me in my feelings." I explained. He nodded his head.

"I told my mom what happened and told her that I want to go to your prom and she said that I couldn't. She expects for me to go to Westwood Academy's prom even after I told her what Chase and his parents said. I got mad because she supported their views of my father. I'm fed up because all my life she's been down talking my father like she's so much better than him and she's not. They are exactly the same. They couldn't give a damn about me or anything that I do. They are content worrying about themselves. They throw me a little money and then they do them. Nobody is here for me CJ. Nobody. Then people wonder why I had two boyfriends. I had two boyfriends because I needed twice the attention to make up for the two people in my life that are supposed to be my parents." I vented to him.

"Why you ain't never talk to me about this stuff?" He asked me, concern taking the place of the anger that was once present.

"Because I always felt that my life was okay. Now I see that it's not. The older I get, the more I see that my childhood was botched." I said.

"I'm sorry, N'shae." He apologized.

"What are you apologizing for CJ?" I asked.

"I feel like I could have done more." He said, looking me in my eyes. "From this point forward, I'm gon always be here for you."

"Stop lying CJ. You're in that life, baby. There's gonna always be somebody out there looking to put you in a body bag. Then who am I gonna have?" I asked him seriously.

"You'll have our baby." He said matter-of-factly.

There was a long period silence between us. I stared into his eyes, making a life changing decision.

"I'll have your baby." I said, barely above a whisper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Try to see where Ashley is coming from. Thoughts? Predictions?