Chapter 1

"Come on Ashley! Let's go. You know how it makes us look when we're late." My mom called up the stairs.

It only reminded me of how much of a control freak she was. She had to be in charge and in control of everything around her; including me. It's no wonder why my dad left her. I don't understand how they got together anyway. My mom was so stuck-up and prissy while my daddy was as laid back and hood as they come. I remember the night they decided to split up like it was yesterday.

"Camille I'm done! You've disrespected me and my family for the last time!"

"Well maybe if they would exercise a little class and stop disrespecting what I worked hard to acquire then I wouldn't have to call them on their actions, Terrence!"

"Are you kidding?! What you worked hard to acquire?! I work my butt off to maintain things around here too but, see the difference between you and I is that I don't trip if somebody neglects to use a damn coaster! You're impossible!"

"So what? You want a divorce?"

"Yeah that's in order. I'll have my lawyers draw up the papers on Monday."

"You're not taking my daughter away from me, Terrence."

"Of course not. We're going to get joint custody of Ashley. There's no need for this divorce to not be carried out in an amicable fashion. I don't hate you, I've just realized that over these past ten years I like us better apart."

I watched from a darkened corner as my two-parent household was split down the middle. But I knew from that moment forward that I would forever respect my father for thinking about my well-being.

"Ashley don't make me come up there!" She called, breaking me from my thoughts.

"I'm coming!" I yelled out to her.

I grabbed my essentials. This included my new iPhone 6, my charger, my earphones and my Eos ball before heading down the stairs.

"Don't you look absolutely adorable. This new haircut really fits you." My mom cooed, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Come on, mommy. I'm too old for that." I whined.

"Ok ok ok...do you have everything you need for the next week. Your dad will be picking you up after school." She informed me as if I didn't know already.

"All the extra things I need are in my duffel bag. Majority of the things I need are at daddy's house already." I informed her.

"Alright then let's go." She said, leading the way to her new 745 BMW. Daddy's alimony was being good to her.

I was so looking forward to this next week though. I absolutely loved spending time at my dad's house.

I've never wished to live with him though. For the simple fact that my dad acts like more of a friend than a parent. A friend won't force you to do homework. Mom does though. If nothing else is important to me, my education is. I want to be a lawyer some day. I won't get there if I don't stay on top of my studies.

My dad's house is where I get to relax and bend the rules. I don't have a curfew, I can spend all the time in the world with my boyfriend, and the parties are super turnt on the east side. The people where my dad lives are super down to earth. The whole block treats everyone one like family. Most importantly, I get to see people that look like me.

Over on the west side where my mom lives we're one of very few black families. And the black families ain't even black families, they're Oreos. That's something that I can't stand. You don't have to fake to function.

I sighed as my mom's car came to a halt in front of Westwood Academy where I was a junior.

"Alrighty, Ash. I'll see you next Sunday." My mom said, leaning over and kissing me on the cheek. "Call me when you settle in tonight."

"I will. I'll see you later mommy." I told her as I exited her car and made my way into the building.

As I put in the combination to my locker, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"I'm going to miss you during this break, boo." My boyfriend, Chase, whispered placing a soft kiss on my neck. I sighed as a chill went up my spine. I turned to face him.

"Don't make this harder than it already is." I pouted, wrapping my arms around his neck.

Chase is my heart. He's my vanilla chip. Chase is about 6ft tall. He was mixed with Caucasian and African American. His mom is white and his dad is black. His skin is super light and his green eyes are to die for. It was gonna be hard not having my vanilla chip for a whole week.

"Why can't you stay on this side of town, boo?" He asked me with puppy dog eyes.

"Because I barely get to see my daddy." I explained to him.

"You do get to see daddy on a regular basis...me." He said with a smirk.

"You are too much." I said with a giggle.

"Can I at least come and see you?" He asked, pleading with his eyes.

"I'll see about it, honey bun." I said, before pulling him in for sweet long kiss. His plump pink lips have me so weak.

"Mr. Johnson and Ms. Carter this is my last time warning you both about PDA. In the hallway is neither the time nor place for that. If I tell you again, I'll be calling both of your parents." Our counselor, Ms. Sheridan warned.

We stepped away from each other until she turned the corner. Chase flipped the bird in her direction before pulling me into him, grabbing my butt and tonguing me down.

"You're gonna get me in trouble Papi." I said, pulling away from him and hitting him lightly on the chest.

I turned back to my locker to retrieve my books, closed my locker and replaced the lock on the locker. Chase grabbed my hand and walked me in the direction of my first class.

"I'll see you at lunch, boo." He said before kissing me on the lips one last time.

"See you later, Papi." I said biting my lip. I savored his flavor on my lips as I walked into my first period AP Psychology class with a smile on my face.

My smile got even bigger when I got a text message from my east side boo, CJ.

💋❤️Eastside Lover😍💯: Make sure you bring yo sexy ahh thru 2nite. U got sum makin up to do😏

Me: Fasho😘