Chapter 09

Chilling At The Freezing Air

***

All the lights inside their car went out. They couldnʼt see anything. It was so dark that even the camera couldnʼt see anything. Emil also tries to start his car that stopped suddenly, but he canʼt do it. “Cʼmon! I donʼt know what happened here,” he said softly while trying to restart his car. Fio leaned back while sitting in the back seat. “Should we panic, or just chill because... because of our current situation?” they heard their friend say.

“What the heck is that question, Fio? What do you think, huh?” Maia is getting impatient. She really wants to get out of this damn place, but they just have to wait a little longer. This wonʼt last long because every mile there is an incident or consequence that they have to face or go through to overcome. “Remember to do the ritual, guys,” They closed their eyes and said what was stated in the ninth mile.

They should not be able to see the very dark surroundings. Maia voluntarily covers her eyes whenever she sees no light around her; that is no longer difficult for her. What worried him more was that they might not be able to leave Clinton Road, or that they might not finish the ritual before four oʼclock in the morning. At that moment, Archer and Emil were trying to start the car when they felt something strange around them, as if someone was watching them.

When Archer looked behind, he couldnʼt see anything, so he tried to look in the side mirror, but he couldnʼt see Emil's car because it was so dark around them. “Emz, are you still behind us?” he asked, and Fio, Emil, Zelle, and Phineas heard Archerʼs worried voice. “Yeah, weʼre here, but we didnʼt get too close to you. We were a little far from you when the car suddenly stopped,” Zelle responded to Archerʼs question. Emil could not speak and focused on himself while trying to start the engine.

His eyes remained open. He didnʼt know if his friendsʼ eyes were closed or open, but for him, it didnʼt matter to him that his eyes were open even though there was no light around him. “I think you need to stop what youʼre doing, Emil, Archer,” they heard Zelle say.

He looked at the woman beside him even though he couldnʼt see her, but he knew the girl was still beside him. “Just close your eyes and focus. Letʼs just feel them first. They won't turn our car back on if you force us to turn it on.” What Zelle said made sense. Archer and Emil did the same. They stopped with their hands on the steering wheel. Their eyes were closed, and none of them were still open. They felt each other and later, Emil heard someone speak from the back seat, so his forehead wrinkled. “Shut up your mouth, Fio, just focus!” he said while keeping his eyes closed.

“Wait, what?!” Fio wondered. “Iʼm not talking. What are you saying, Emil?” Fio doesnʼt really know what Emil is saying. It wasnʼt really him who spoke, and he didnʼt hear anyone else speak to them except Emil, who scolded him. “What are you talking about?” Emil asked in surprise, and at that moment, he opened his eyes. “I swear, I didnʼt speak, Emz.” Fio said.

He grabbed the steering wheel again and tried to start the car, but it still wouldn‹t work. He just shook his head and opened the door to where he was sitting. “This is so freaking insane,” he said, and finally got out of the car. Zelle, Fio, and Phineas widened their eyes when Emil got out of the car again. “What the hell, Emz? Emil, go back in here!” Zelle called softly to him.

Archer doesnʼt know whatʼs going on with Emil in the back. He heard a strange sound on the line, as if something strange was happening to his friends in the other car. “Whatʼs going on with you guys?” he asked them. When they heard their friendʼs voice, Zelle immediately answered. “Emil came out here in the car,”

“What?” Archer opened his eyes and removed his seat belt. He opened the door and got out of the car. They also did nothing but follow their two friends who went out first. “Whatʼs going on with them?” Raquel asked in surprise, holding the camera that was out of focus.