Wedding bells

Georgia

My hands fell, and my eyes grew wide with shock. There was no ignoring it anymore. It was true. Right before my eyes was the evidence supporting the small voice in my head. Everything Michael had said was the truth. In the end, I was the stupid girl who chose to blindly believe in love and ignore common sense.

Love...

I should have known it was too good to be true, especially after...

"Excuse me." The voice said, and immediately I felt a body graze my shoulder. I fell to the ground and stayed there. I'd been standing precariously for almost twenty minutes outside the church, staring at the banner of the beautiful couple.

He looked happy. It was just a picture, but something told me he was happier with her than he'd ever been with me. That something was probably right.

I mean, look at her.

She was beautiful. Tall and slender, with glowing skin. Not a single acne on her face. Photoshop was a possibility, but I wasn't so stupid that I would try to tell myself a lie just to feel good. I was desperate enough though, but not stupid enough.

I took another long look at this happy couple currently getting hitched inside. Her long slender legs, beautiful face, nice curves. Not a single picture of her spared my heart from aching. She was perfect. I can see why he chose her over me.

God!

Why was I being so lame about this. He'd hurt me enough, i shouldn't blame myself for it. This was all him. He'd done this to me. I was perfectly good, perfectly beautiful, Michael had said. And he was right. I was a very beautiful girl.

Just not as beautiful as her, the voice in my head said.

"Or rich..." I chuckled sadly.

This was the union that didn't breathe wrong or deprecated. Nobody would question this union. Two rich and beautiful people getting married.

A match made in heaven.

I couldn't be the half he needed to be whole. I wasn't fit. Too many student loans, too much debt on my credit cards.

And too damn proud to accept any help. The voice said condescendingly.

I laughed. At my situation at first, but then at myself.

Michael had said I should have at least taken his money when he offered. Then I would have a broken heart, but at least be debt free. Thinking about it now, it didn't sound like such a bad idea at all...

I heard footsteps coming from the other side of the door, so I quickly tried to get up. But before I could, the door met my face, and very strongly. I fell again, holding my nose.

"Fuck!" I yelled.

It hurt like it would need plastic surgery in order to recover. I wasn't the type people referred to as gorgeous, but I had one of the nicest nose. Not too small, not too big, just perfect and pointy. I'd gotten it from my father...

"Are you okay?" A voice said after several seconds of nothing.

"I think you broke my nose," I said in pain.

At least my mind was focused on a different kind of pain.

"Here, raise your head up, you're bleeding."

I did as the man said. I couldn't see him clearly. He was very blurry.

"My glasses." I cried.

"Uhm... how funny would it be if I told you I stepped on them?"