Chapter 14

Jace was starting to get over everything that had happened. It had been a few weeks of countless naked girls.

He was talking to Magnus.

"I think I'm ready to come back to the Institute and face Clary. It took me a while to realize it, but it's much better to face these kinds of things with a brave face. I should confront Clary about it," Jace told Magnus.

"I knew you'd come around eventually," the warlock replied. Jace could detect a note of sadness in his voice, no doubt still holding on to the hope that Alec would come around, too. "I can make arrangements."

Jace was on a bus to New York City the next morning.

***

Several weeks and a number of angry phone calls with her mother, Clary was no closer to finding Jace than she had been.

Then, sitting alone in Taki's, she had a breakthrough.

What if she had powers from her 'mixed heritage'?

She had always been good with a stele, but what if there was more? What was an option she had never plumbed?

Then it struck her.

She could create runes. Any rune she wanted. Before he had been taken, she and Jace had been working together, cultivating her rune-making skills.

Could it be he was kidnapped to avoid Clary's further development?

She kept thinking about this on her way back to the Institute. She didn't even pause to say sorry when she walked directly into a man hurrying in the other di-

"By the Angel," he said.

She looked up and saw that it was Jace, but only got to see him for a split-second before he turned around and ran away.

She called out after him, but it was no use.

Clary immediately reached for her phone and dialed Jace's number.

You've reached Jace Way-M-Lightwo-Herondale. Please leave a message and I will get back to you if I can.

*beep*

Clary hung up bitterly, without leaving a message.

***

Izzy was quietly contemplating her choices.

One: She could tell Clary that Jace was back in town. She may already know, because Jace said he was going to find her.

Two: She could let Jace do his thing and not interfere. That was the smarter, safer option, but that had never appealed to her.

She picked up her phone and dialled Clary.

She answered on the fifth ring, just as Izzy was afraid she would be sent to voice mail.

"Hello?" There was a scraping roughness to her voice that meant she had been crying recently.

"Hey. It's me. Are you okay?" Izzy asked, genuinely concerned for her friend.

"Yeah I'm... No. I'm not okay. Is-Do you think he's punishing himself again?"

Izzy paused a moment before responding. "I dont know. What does he have to punish himself over right now?"

"Knowing Jace, there's always something." Izzy could almost hear Clary rolling her eyes lovingly through the phone.

"Listen, Clary. Do you want me to talk to him?" Izzy offered. She was quite the relationship doctor as of late.

"By the Angel," Clary's voice dropped to a whisper. "When he turned around to get away from me he just went around the block. What do I do?"

"Follow him," said Izzy immediately. This was so good, she almost felt like making popcorn.

She didn't, but instead listened to Clary's blow-by-blow of what was happening. She listened as Jace crossed a street, made a few turns, and then went into Magnus's apartment.

"But they don't even like each other," said Izzy in disbelief.

They said their goodbyes, with promises to meet with Alec and Simon at Taki's in a few minutes.

***

Okay ewww guys this story is going so badly downhill I can't even tell you.

Also you may have noticed (but probably not) I took my other story down but I'm starting a new one. It should be up in a couple weeks I just want to have a few chapters ready before I start publishing so stay tuned for that.

Okay please vote, comment and have a terrific day.

Bye!!

-Ev.