Chapter 14 - Heartbroken

There we were, crying. No, grieving, we were grieving someone who hasn't even died yet. Steven, Belly, Mom and I were all cuddled on Belly's bed sobbing like Susannah wasn't downstairs with Con and Jere.

Eventually mom went downstairs to help Susannah make dinner and Steven and I went to our rooms. I was scrolling through Pinterest mindlessly when there was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I hated how small and broken my voice sounded.

Jeremiah came in and sat on my bed. He had a serious look on his face, and I grew worried.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, I've known Jere my entire life and I didn't like the look on his face.

"Uh, I convinced my mom to do the trial," He murmurs.

"That's great Jere! That's really good," I attempt and fail at changing the expression on his face.

"Yeah, it is, look Cass, I really love you," He pauses, he loves me? My chest swells with happiness, "But we need to take a break with whatever this is." He motions between us, "Just while my mom gets better. I can't have any distractions. I hope you understand, but I just need some time to help my mom out and I can't be visiting you all the time. I need to stay in Boston for her," If it's possible to feel your own heart break, I think I just felt it, but I try as hard as I can to keep my composure.

"Yeah, no, yeah, I totally understand. I want you to be with your mom too. She needs you." I feel a single tear slide down my cheek, but I wipe it away before Jere sees it.

And just like that, he stands up and leaves my room. Not looking back. I break into sobs, I have to keep reminding myself that Jere is doing this for his mom, and that Susannah needs this.

Jeremiah's pov:

We sit at the dinner table, all of us, laughing like old times, like my mom doesn't have cancer. The entire dinner Cassidy doesn't look at me. I can tell she cried more after I broke off whatever we had going on. I feel like shit, but I need to focus on my mom until she gets better. She will get better. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

This is just a temporary break between me and Cass, it's not going to last forever, we'll get back together eventually. I didn't spend all that time pining after her for nothing. I'll get her back.

Cassidy's pov:

After dinner, I don't spare a glance to anyone before I head upstairs to the comfort of my summer room. After about thirty minutes of sobbing quietly into my pillow so no one hears I look out the window. I've got a great view of the beach that usually calms me down but when I look out, I see Belly and Conrad, they seem to be having a serious conversation and I almost look away. But then they are making out and I start sobbing all over again. How come Conrad doesn't take a break with Belly to take care of his mom? I'm insanely jealous, I know I should be happy for Belly, she's finally with her other half, but I can't help but be jealous. My other half just broke up with me before anything really started with us.

AND THAT'S A WRAP AHAHAHAHAHHA Sorry for leaving it like this :') but I'll be doing a part 2 of this book! It may take me a little while for me to start it up because I want to work on a few other things before I start the part 2. I'll be basing the part 2 off the books cuz I am not creative, and I can't come up with my own ideassss :))) anyways, please stay tuned for the part 2! I hope you enjoyed this book :)